Endless akathesia

[Tu...]

The suffering seems endless. Just when you think you might be making progress you get hit again with horrific symptoms

My worst symptoms are the inner restlessness torture and negative thoughts.

Antibiotic set back a few months ago made my symptoms worse. Some have gotten better but akathesia inner and outer is still very present and horrific at times

For anyone who suffered akathesia or is still suffering from it how did you get through it and are you seeing noticeable healing taking place. ?

Tell me this goes away. I’m so afraid  :-[

Tulip

Akathisia is both physical and mental in a way. Next to the absolute feelings of dread it was probably the worst symptom. Waking up every morning with high cortisol rushes, burning skin, restlessness and feeling of dread was so awful that it caused me to dry heave as soon as I woke up. Worst wave of akathisia was 6 weeks nonstop. Wasn't comfortable in my body or mind 24/7.

I drank some chamomile tea and went for a 30 minute walk every morning and that helped some. Whenever I got a small break from the akathisia I immediately reclined in a comfy chair and tried my best to follow a calming meditation guide I found on YouTube. It was very hard for me to distract my mind and meditate but trying was important.

It felt like it was never going to end, and felt like I had permanently caused damage to my brain. Negative thoughts were constantly telling me worst case scenarios.  However, it did end and rather ubruptly one morning. In my experience a really bad wave is often followed by a really good window.

You will get better. These symptoms will pass. Try to visualize it as the stronger the symptoms are, the harder your brain is at work repairing itself. Construction is noisy and unpleasant, but it is also a sign that something is being fixed.

The more you react to your symptoms with fear the stronger they feel. You can try challenging your symptoms to see if that helps. Focus on a symptom and personify it. Ask it if that's the worst it can do you and taunt it to attack you harder. In the end you will realize they are sensations that cannot harm you and are not permanent. Disarming your fear of them may help lessen their actual impact.

Take care.

Thank you Corona for your response

If you don’t mind me asking how was your time line recovery with akathesia healing process? I know we all heal at different rates but I’m curious to know how your healing process went

I’m 7 months off with an antibiotic setback and suffer badly on my bad days which are every other day.

Tulip

It's been 10 years, but if I remember correctly I had it bad for 3 weeks during acute phase. Then it returned at 4 months (or month 0, since i had a setback), 8 months and 12 months, each time lasting somewhere close to a month. In between I had milder symptoms or windows.  Some people get progressively better month after month, others yoyo back and forth, no two people can expect a mirrored recovery schedule. Since you acknowledged this, then you know that if it is 100% from withdrawl you will recover.

One thing to keep to keep in mind is that it is always best to rule out any other potential health issues. Get tested for vitamin defiencies, CBC, etc just to rule any other possibilities.  If you have no underlying maladies or deficiencies then you can be assured this will get better with time.