After 25 years, looking to taper

[Mo...]

I have been on Klonopin for 25 years. I got sober from drinking a year before that, and the psychiatrist put me on Klonopin for sleep issues. I take 2 mg. per day, with .25mg at 5:30 p.m, 1 mg. at 9:30p.m., and 1.5 mg at 12 a.m. I am 74 years old with a history of dementia in my family.  I still work.  I have been worried about the drug's effect on memory issues, and am considering tapering off. I understand it can take a long while to taper, and I have read, and been advised, about slowly tapering. The Ashton manual suggests tapering with Valium, but that scares me. I am confused as to how to "shave off" the tablets accurately (except for 1/2 doses using the indention in the pill).

I joined this group to hopefully learn how best to taper, and be encouraged by others who have gone before. I went to rehab to learn the disease of alcoholism and become sober. Maybe this site will be as successful for me.

Thank you for reading my story, and your support.

Hello Morganna22,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, we are glad you have joined the BB community!  Kudos to you for the positive changes you've made in your life and for the intention to also let Klonopin go.  Most of our members, myself included, taper directly from the benzo they are taking.  Either way can work but going slow like Ashton suggests is key to tapering safely and with minimal withdrawl symptoms.

I've put some links below to get you started.  You can begin posting when you are ready.  Let us know if you have questions or need help.

Again, welcome,

Kate08

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)