Hello fellow benzo buds

[Pe...]

I’m 42, almost 43 years old and have been on and off of prescribed benzodiazepines, mostly on, since I was 15. Antidepressants too for the same amount of time. That’s almost 28 years!! I want off but am terrified of acute and protracted withdrawal. I’m here for support and hopefully, eventually, be of support to others too.

Hello Peredur, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I guess I was lucky, I had no idea benzo's could be so destructive when I quit cold turkey, of course I soon learned the truth.  I think you're so wise to educate yourself about how to quit before actually attempting it, knowledge and preparation can go a long way to ensure a successful outcome, so good for you.

We suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks depending on your symptoms, they should guide you so you can remain functional, I hope you have a doctor willing to keep prescribing your medication as you do this.  What benzo do you take? 

Many people go through acute withdrawal but not many are protracted, we consider someone protracted once they get to around the 2 year mark so don't label yourself just yet.

I'll provide some resources but please let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual