Author Topic: Fast crossover ativan to valium? Inpatient?  (Read 234 times)

[Buddie]

Fast crossover ativan to valium? Inpatient?
« on: May 31, 2022, 10:04:24 pm »
Doc's latest idea because im kindled and nothings working. Inpatient crossover which would be way faster than Ashton recommends.  To a doctor I'm sure it sounds okay to just swap out in 3 to 5 days 😭
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Fast crossover ativan to valium? Inpatient?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 10:49:52 pm »
Does he plan to taper you off the Valium inpatient as well?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 11:00:13 pm »
Just the crossover

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 11:03:59 pm »
Did he explain his reasoning because I don't get it.  It takes awhile for the Valium to build up, will he send you home in agony once you're crossed but before the Valium has reached full effect?

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 11:08:52 pm »
I didnt understand that. Is the same true of klonopin? Im having a hard time understanding the build up

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 11:10:37 pm »
Also if it takes a while for valium to build  up, dont you end up in tolerance to the valium ?

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 11:21:13 pm »
Valium has a long half life which means it reaches full effect slower than say Ativan and Xanax and it leaves your body slower, this is what makes it a better drug to taper from because you don't get the peaks and valley's you do with shorter acting drugs.  When someone stops taking Valium, they won't start feeling symptoms for many days, sometimes weeks but take Xanax for example, it hits you fast and leaves you fast, that's why Valium is better for tapering.

A step wise crossover allows time for the Valium to reach full strength while you slowly withdraw the other benzo, doing this too quickly means the other benzo has left your body but the Valium hasn't had time to reach full effect leaving you with severe withdrawal symptoms. 

Sure, your doctor can cross you over in a few days but the drug won't have had time to reach full effect, this is why I say it makes no sense to go inpatient for this because you'll come home and be in agony.  If he wants to manage your withdrawal and if you're incapable of crossing and tapering on your own then why not do the whole thing inpatient?  Rapid taper you off, send you home and let you recover without having to worry about tapering, you just have to survive like I did.

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 11:32:31 pm »
Brilliant. What about klonopin? Would i come home on horror then too?  In any case would i continue to experiemce the underlying stivan withdrswal?

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 11:33:36 pm »
And im alreasy too damagaged to recover like you did.maybe first time around not after kindnled

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 11:38:07 pm »
Did he explain his reasoning because I don't get it.  It takes awhile for the Valium to build up, will he send you home in agony once you're crossed but before the Valium has reached full effect?

I agree this is useless