Feeling fear from naturopaths/alternative junk

[f2...]

[f2...]

I know this topic is hotly debated and will not start a dualistic fight on it.

However, lately, I've felt a lot of fear over debating whether I should let time heal this, or if I'm "missing something" that I should or could be doing to help myself. The issue is, that almost everything I find ties back to more naturopathic, grey area conditions that are almost impossible to diagnose or treat (Lyme, mold, histamine, CFS, etc.) and usually involve taking literally hundreds of supplements.

I find myself panicked over not wanting to buy into these things, but then I find websites like this one where there is a *ton* of literature and articles written by the individual, namely discussing levels of science the layman reading wouldn't understand, which is frustrating.

Can people write articles like this, with all these resources, and still be wrong? Or is the only way I'm going to live a happy, healthy life to basically avoid everything and live off 500 supplements?

I'll throw my opinion out there for what it's worth.  I don't want to upset anyone either so if I'll preface this by saying this are just thoughts.  I prefer treatments that are approved by the medical community as a whole.  Over time I've come to understand that sometimes naturopathic doctors operate alone.  There are situations where some such individuals have tons of followers, but no one else in the medical community seems to be validating their work.  Which is odd to me.  I like treatments where efficacy is proven by a broad group of individuals.  Our body is undergoing a complex healing process. The details of which are not fully understood.  This is something that the intellectually modest in the medical community can admit though others seem to believe they know a cure for everything, or that if you take X supplement you will avoid X condition.  I think if there were the case, my doctor would be telling me to do these things.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are a number of great, key findings that naturopathic doctors have come across that haven't yet to be broadly accepted yet and there is true value in TCM and things of that nature.  And oftentimes there's no real harm in taking supplements, potentially just upside. 

Personally, I don't think there's anything that we can do to speed up the healing rate, though I don't think there's much harm in taking supplements.  But I've found that letting my brain just do its thing without trying to interrupt it has been the best course of action.  I've certainly read stories on here of individuals who have disrupted this process by taking things.  Your brain will always try to come back into equilibrium, and only it knows how to achieve that.  It's a thing that's capable of billions of calculations per second while our own computers can only handle mere millions.   

[f2...]
I appreciate the thought process and response. Desperation is a hard feeling to cope with during this process but maybe time really is the best healer. For myself, I know I find myself feeling a lot of fear that I'm not going to heal unless I *do* something, so it's hard to digest.

Zarathustra, I'll just throw my comments into the mix in hopes they will help you. I took NOTHING in the way of supps to help me with my w/d. I agree with Shoelace -- I'd rather take something that has a  track record of success than something that is a bit sketchy. So . . . I might have missed out on some dandy supps, but c'est la vie. I seem to have "healed" (don't like that word . . . let's say recovered) pretty darned well without any.

Of course these are just my thoughts based on my own recovery. Others may have done things differently and recovered differently. I don't want to start a pro-supp/con-supp argument here or a traditional medicine versus naturopathic medicine fight either.

I decided to let time do its work, hoping my brain would return to homeostasis. It did.

Best to you,

Katz

SpeakZarathrusta, I know the feeling of needing to take action.  Similar to waiting for a broken bone to mend, I don't believe there's much to be done aside form waiting for our bodies to regenerate, so take heart that you are doing everything you need to do. 

[f2...]

Zarathustra, I'll just throw my comments into the mix in hopes they will help you. I took NOTHING in the way of supps to help me with my w/d. I agree with Shoelace -- I'd rather take something that has a  track record of success than something that is a bit sketchy. So . . . I might have missed out on some dandy supps, but c'est la vie. I seem to have "healed" (don't like that word . . . let's say recovered) pretty darned well without any.

Of course these are just my thoughts based on my own recovery. Others may have done things differently and recovered differently. I don't want to start a pro-supp/con-supp argument here or a traditional medicine versus naturopathic medicine fight either.

I decided to let time do its work, hoping my brain would return to homeostasis. It did.

Best to you,

Katz

Thanks for chiming in. You were on similar meds to me...and you recovered? I'm in month 4 and not feeling a whole lot better, and getting discouraged.

[f2...]

SpeakZarathrusta, I know the feeling of needing to take action.  Similar to waiting for a broken bone to mend, I don't believe there's much to be done aside form waiting for our bodies to regenerate, so take heart that you are doing everything you need to do.

Thanks for this. Did you have to reinstate?

Zarathustra I can't say I felt a whole lot better at month 4. I'd say it took me a year to feel like a human. So -- and I know this is hard -- just hang in there. You WILL feel better.  Gradually, you'll improve.

Best to you, my friend.

Katz

[f2...]

Zarathustra I can't say I felt a whole lot better at month 4. I'd say it took me a year to feel like a human. So -- and I know this is hard -- just hang in there. You WILL feel better.  Gradually, you'll improve.

Best to you, my friend.

Katz

Thank you <3

Z, I just wanted to add that I kept a daily journal of how I felt . . . what was improving, what wasn't . . . what I could do on month 7 e.g. that I couldn't do on month 6 (like drive 50 miles to the next town, or stand to watch the tv news). It was extremely helpful. That way I could follow my s/x . . . and record what was getting better! Just a thought.

Katz

I suffered unnecessarily for 5 years! I had severe histamine issues and was going in and out of anaphylaxis because of FEAR. Stop living in fear and get some things to give you relief. I am so glad I did I have my life back, and I am happy again and loving life again. I finally tried Benadryl, histaminx (probiotic), cromolyn to stabalize my mast cells and I use marijuana every day. I never thought I would see the day of light again until I started trying things. So from my experience you don’t need 500 supplements but the willingness to try something. I was suffering so bad that it didn’t matter if I reacted to trying things because I reacted to everything to begin with. I no longer have any food reactions and my chemical sensitivity has gotten so much better. I am 5 years off benzos now. I started Benadryl in October and  cromolyn and marijuana this January. I have been just getting more and more better.