3 MG Lorazepam + Zolpidem - Both at Night

[er...]

Looking for guidance, kinship, and help. 2013-2019: 40-50 mg of Valium, 30 mg of Baclofen, and Ambien because of neurological misdiagnosis of Stiff Person Syndrome. In 2019 I was properly diagnosed with genetic Dopa Responsive Dystonia, and started Carbidopa/Levodopa (same med as Parkinson’s) with life altering success. Was switched to Ativan 3 MG at night, 30 mg Baclofen (as needed), 20 mg Zolpidem at bedtime. My dystonia is under control, but I feel horrible all day long. Fatigue, flushing, racing heart. I take all of my benzo and Z drug at bedtime. I’d like to taper and get off the Ativan, since the benzo was originally diagnosed for a disease I don’t have. I think I am in a constant state of interdose withdrawals, except when the meds have knocked me out to sleep. I would like to eventually taper off Zolpidem as well, but one thing at a time.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to start a taper? Should I be taking smaller doses throughout the day first? I moved and have a new psychiatrist, who now handles my Lorazepam (my neurologist is in another state now and cannot prescribe over state line). She took over my meds, but didn’t have any suggestions on dosing, timing, etc.

Hello erasettes, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm glad you finally got the right diagnosis but its' too bad you were switched to Ativan during the process since it has such a short half life.  Combine that with the Zolpidem and I'm not surprised you're dealing with interdose, Zolpidem's half life is so short I was miserable all day long when I used it. 

My suggestion would be to taper from the Zolpidem first, since its likely causing much of your interdose, then tackle the Ativan once you recover from that.  Many members can make 10% cuts to their dose, I was able to quit cold turkey without too many problems but we don't typically recommend that.  For Ativan, we suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks but using your symptoms to guide your taper in order to stay functional.

I'll provide some resources for you to look at but please let us know how we can help, we're glad you found us.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual

Thank you for the response.

Wait, you mean I could be having the same interdose withdrawal symptoms from Zolpidem as Ativan? Is Zolpidem also a benzo? Whaaaat? Wow.

Zolpidem is classified as a non-benzodiazepine by the scientific community but the brain doesn't distinguish between the two so yes, the Zolpidem is very likely causing you interdose withdrawal. 

I had no idea. I see that you also took Zolpidem. There is life after Zolpidem? I know it won’t be easy, but that gives me a lot of hope.

I've chased sleep all of my life with alcohol, Klonopin and Ambien and it never worked, the quality of my sleep, the dependence and the symptoms were terrible.  Now, I let sleep come to me and its so refreshing and satisfying, I never felt this rested taking drugs.  I no longer dread bedtime, I accept that some nights I'll have some difficulty but it's no big deal, I'll make up for it the next. 

Ahhhhhh, yes!! That actually sounds great! I am blown away that the Zolpidem could be causing some of the daytime suffering. Thank you so much. I think I’ll eat that part of the frog first.

Given your diagnosis of Dopa Responsive Dystonia with neurological symptoms which may mirror withdrawal symptoms you may want to take the Zolpidem taper slow.  Its so tough to know which route to take with Zolpdiem, for me, I felt better the day after I stopped.  I couldn't sleep but the inner trembling, anxiety and horrific dark thoughts were gone.  Other members find tapering at about 10% or less is what works for them.

Pamster, today, I confirmed that what I’ve been suffering from for YEARS is interdose withdrawal from Ambien and nighttime only Ativan (3-4 mg). When I picked up my Ativan today, I took a 1 mg dose at 11 am, and a 2 mg dose at 3pm, which is when I generally start to completely fall apart with severe head pressure, discombobulation, dizziness, high heart rate, and dozens of other debilitating symptoms. I had been touching it out every night until 9pm when I would collapse in bed in a puddle of desperation. Tonight, I made dinner! On my feet, not twisted up in a chair next to the stove with dysautonmia. I felt HUMAN.

I can’t believe this. I need to stabilize with doses throughout the day, and then, I think I can actually DO THIS!!! I haven’t had this much hope in five years. I had a good day today. I can’t believe the suffering I’ve endured because of something as fundamental and simple as med scheduling.

Thank you for the guidance! I’m going to enjoy dinner out this week for my 21st wedding anniversary. It will be our first DINNER out. We’ve always had to move celebrations to breakfast when I’m functional.

Hi erasettes,

I've had a miserable couple of days, I've been to the ER three times with a friend and tonight I saw your post and got tears in my eyes.  To see someone find the answer to what has made their life miserable makes me so happy, I want to thank you for giving me exactly what I needed.  :smitten:

Please come back when you can so we can help you find your way off of these drugs, and congratulations on your 21st wedding anniversary. 

Pamster