Looking for comradery

[Ca...]

Looking for help withdrawing from xanax. Been taking for 15 years, gradually working my way up to 8 mg.

per day. am down to 6 mg. for past 2 years, can't get any further. Have experienced cold turkey withdrawal several times when I could not get any. Worst thing ever experienced, thought I would die, honestly. No sleep, heart palpitations, pounding heart, sweats, at the point of catatonia. I want off these things so badly, but the memories of the withdrawal are almost PSTD like.  Thanks.

Hello Caribbean Sun,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, we are glad you are here!  Oh my, a cold turkey from an 8mg dose of Xanax would be brutal.  Have you tried a slow taper?  We support a slow taper from benzos since going slow minimizes withdrawl symptoms and allows you to stay functional.  Our suggestion is based on the Ashton Manual which I've linked below.  Having camaraderie like you mentioned also helps since you are connecting with others who have or are there. 

I've put a couple of other links below to get you started.  You can begin posting when you are ready.  Please ask questions and speak up when you need help.

Again, welcome,

Kate08

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)