On Benzodiazepines Since November 2021

[Be...]

Hello, I have been on benzos since November 2021 for insomnia and anxiety related to a trauma event. I am currently tapering off of Clonazepam. I have only been taking .5mg at night or as needed during the day. My understanding is this isn’t a very high dose and I am still struggling with insomnia. My doctor recently prescribed me 10mg Diazepam and it seems to work but not getting much sleep and just worried that the risk of taking this type of med really isn’t paying off as I hoped. I have tried multiple depression and anxiety medications but can’t tolerate them for some reason. I have been on extended STD and have a very highly stressful job as a Project Manager. I feel that I am not making any positive progress towards my now mental health issue and worried about my job that I have had for almost 13yrs. I am hoping to find some support and comfort from others that are in a same situation or have made it through to the other side. Thanks!

Hello Better2022, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Can you tell us what your total dose is now and how often have you taken the as needed during the day?  Also, how many times have you taken the 10 mgs of Valium, its important we undestand your total daily dose.  Clonazepam is a powerful benzodiazepine, .5 mg is roughly equal to 10 mgs of Valium, I don't consider any dose to be small.

We suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms dictate, they should guide your reductions so you can hopefully stay functional.  I'll provide some resources for you to take a look at but please ask questions, we're here to help.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual