Having issues and fears tapering

[Do...]

Hi, I just stumbled onto this page as I was looking for help and I think I really need some help.

I have been on Klonopin 0.5mg for over 15 years. I while ago I started snapping my pills in half to .25mg and I have done that for a while. I started cutting them in half to .125mg. I have told my doctor this and he said to take the .125mg every other day. I tried that and I got the shakes and trouble seeing.

I have come to the realization that this is not going to be easy and I don't know where to start to get down my dose or how long I should stay at a dose then taper down.

I didn't think I had a problem until I did.

I was never warned about the withdrawal issue, but now I see this is going to be really rough.

Hello DoubleG, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I remember that moment when I too realized I was in trouble, I'd just quit cold turkey so I'm glad you know enough to taper. 

We suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks depending on your symptoms, we actually use them to determine how fast to go in order to stay functional.  We also suggest you take your medication every day because its important to keep your blood serum levels even to avoid whiplash like symptoms.

How long ago did you reduce to .125, do you think you need to go back up in dose to stabilize then start to taper slowly or do you think you can hold on taking .125 until you stabilize?  We define stable as being able to take care of your daily tasks, not feeling great.

We're glad you found us, we have many members experiencing what you are and it helps to connect with those who understand what a nightmare this is.  I'll provide some resources but please ask questions, we're here to help.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual