Been on 2 mg lorazepam and want to get off!

[Sa...]

Hi, I have been on 2 mg or lorazepam per night for years (4 or more and want desperately to get off them and have referred to the Ashton Manual and found it not that useful.  I switched to diazepam under a doctor's prescription and it was a nightmare.  I had a terrible reaction to the Valium.  I became sick and she said I was withdrawing too fast.  She didn't keep me on the lorazepam at the same time.  Now I'm nausiated all the time am very fearful.  I have a lot of fear so I went back on the 2 mg lorazepam and still don't feel right but do want to taper CORRECTLY.  I can't seem to find a doctor.  I bought a scale but don't know how much to taper at a time - 25 %?  15 %?  Also, I heard that if you taper wrong your GABA won't be balanced and you could taper but still feel horrible.  I am very frightened and need your help and input.  Do I supplement with GABA?  I don't want to take an SSRI to compensate for the insomnia as I heard that's not a very good mixture and to just taper the benzo itself and leave other drugs out of it.  Please let me be part of the group so I can learn and do this correctly no matter how long it takes.  My quality of life is terrible and I really need your input.  Thank you.  Sarah E

Hello Sarah E, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm so very sorry to hear the crossover to Valium didn't go well, if you don't introduce the Valium slowly while withdrawing the Ativan slowly it can be a horrific experience because it takes awhile for the Valium to build up in your system.  If done too quickly, it leaves you without coverage and well, you know the rest.

We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks but this should depend on your symptoms, they should guide you so you can stay functional. 

Do you feel stable enough to begin a taper?  By stable, I don't mean feeling good but able to perform your daily tasks.  If not, I'd suggest holding a little while longer.

I'll provide some resources for you and also a link to the taper board for you to use to get help with your taper.  I don't know anything about GABA supplements but many members have found that supplements and other medications can just create more problems so if you decide to add anything, just add one at a time and start small.  Some swear by supplements, but others say the same ones make them feel worse so do your homework.  Alternative Therapies & Supplements

We're glad you found us and we'll help all we can, just keep asking questions.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

I think you're right about waiting for a bit longer, but not too long, on starting the taper.  I bought a micro taper machine from Amazon to weigh the lorazepam out when I do begin.  I think my nausea comes largely from fright and fear.  I also have read that magnesium, GABA supplements and SSRI or SNRI's are very bad to introduce to a taper.  It only makes things worse so stick to a planned taper.  I am going to see my PPO doctor (not the bad one that prescribed Valium) on Wednesday the 1st and I hope he helps but I know MD's no very little about this benzo crisis that is occurring.  I saw the Lisa Ling "The Benzo Crisis" and it was very good and I highly recommend.  I just need more strength to start the taper.  The nausea has been awful.  It didn't help that the other doctor prescribe Gabepentin.  It's supposedly the worst thing you can give someone trying to come off benzos.  It's a GABA agonist and our brain circuits are depleted in GABA and can't pick it up in our brains so it just makes us feel more anxious and sicker.  I threw it out (properly of course).  I am not stable enough to perform daily tasks except to get dressed and take a shower.  I can't even drive a car yet I feel so awful.  Thank you so much for your help and I hope to find many friends and suggestions, will continue doing my research and pray for guidance and relief.  I have felt like dying last week even though I don't want to die.  It's crazy what was going through my brain.  It was hell and I'm sure there is more to come.  But if I do a slow taper once I get my scale I hope things will be better in a year or so.    Thank you again and God bless us all.

It sounds like you've educated yourself quite a bit about this process, good for you!  Everyone reacts differently when it comes to medications, some swear by Gabapentin but it does need to be tapered and that can be difficult but it looks like you won't need to worry about that.  :thumbsup:

I'm sorry to hear how bad its been for you but I can see you have a good attitude which will serve you well, I look forward to watching your recovery.  :)