Taper Xanax.

[Ma...]

Hello, I've been on benzo for 20 years (now I'm 37), managed to get off twice, be clean for months, then came back for various reasons. I hope to be successful this time too. My recall history is over a year old, I tried to cut various benzos but to no avail - I was always back on track, worst was after Valium - I was almost nil but depression beat me, I couldn't function, I was supposed to get back on track so I could work . I am currently reducing 0.5mg Xanax from May 15th, before that I mixed various benzo plus half doses, it was bad, I got C19, a week later I had a tachycardia attack, decided to stop taking benzo and only take it temporarily because of the anxiety I had since childhood. I'm desperate to bring my cone to the end. I am currently on 0.25 mg of Xanax. The reduction is dry now I take 0.125 mg of Xanax every 12 hours, the drug lasts a long time (SR). So far my symptoms are paroxysmal accelerated heartbeat, anxiety in the morning, I force myself to play sports, read, solve crosswords to improve my head.

Hello MatMax29,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! Congratulations on your decision to taper off Xaqnax.  We're so glad you found the forum - you'll find lots of good information, support and encouragement here from others who understand what it's like to go through this process.

You can connect with others who are tapering on the taper support board using this link.  I included a link to the Xanax Club support group below the taper link:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

The Xanax Club

You might want to read the Ashton Manual, an excellent resource about benzodiazepine tapering and withdrawal by Dr. Heather Ashton.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field - she suggests reducing your dose by no more than 5% or 10% every 1-2 weeks.  Some people find it works better for them to taper even more slowly.

Here is the link for the manual:

The Ashton Manual

Again, we're glad you found us.  Please let us know how we can help you.

Again, welcome,

Kate

• 2 weeks later...
Hey colleagues, I take 2x0.0625 mg of Xanax a day, I had one crisis a few days ago - I managed to stabilize this condition. I've noticed a lack of energy in the last few days, I'm pushing myself to go to the gym and exercise, hard. There were problems with sleep, everything is problematic. I take melatonin and valerian.