Trying to taper off Xanax

[Ca...]

So I have been on Xanax since 2008 so 14years. I am on 1 mg 3x a day for anxiety and panic attacks. I am ready to taper off in a healthy way as my body is sensitive so I would have to wean off slowly. I am also trying to get my hormones balanced so that cause a lot of anxiety, depression, panic, sleepiness nights. I am 44 and I am ready. I miss the times that I didn’t have to take a pill to fall asleep or just feel normal. Also of course when my nerves are bad I can’t eat so I struggle with that so when I do take a Xanax it helps calm me so I can eat. I am on so natural supplements so hopefully they will help calm me some. And advice or stories I would love to hear. Thank you!

Hello Carebear2035,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! Congratulations on your decision to taper off Xanax.  We're so glad you found the forum - you'll find lots of good information, support and encouragement here from others who understand what it's like to go through this process.

It sounds like you're interested in information about taper plans.  A good place to start is the board on Planning Your Withdrawal. You will learn a lot and when you're ready, you can post questions about your own taper plan:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

As you consider what plan would work best, you might want to read the Ashton Manual, an excellent resource about benzodiazepine tapering and withdrawal by Dr. Heather Ashton.  Dr. Ashton is an expert in the field - she suggests reducing your dose by no more than 5% or 10% every 1-2 weeks.  Some people find it works better for them to taper even more slowly.

Here is the link for the manual:

The Ashton Manual

Again, we're glad you found us.  Please let us know how we can help you.

Again, welcome,

Kate