Headed back to work and terrified.

[It...]

I'm headed back to work and I have to be honest, I'm terrified. I would consider myself mostly healed now but I do still get waves here and there. I can't take any more time off, I need to go back. Which means an adjustment for my whole family as having me back at work also means my kids are back in care.

I have to go back, I have no other choice at this point for a variety of reasons, and while I believe I'm healed enough to handle it and any future waves that come, I have so much fear of the future! All of the what if's I'm just not really sure how to best cope with it. And then you hear the stories of people setback be stress and that just worries me even further, the thought of another setback is beyond terrifying.

Is there anyone here who has gone back to work and found it was actually helpful to them? Or if anyone has some words of advice or wisdom id love if you'd share it with me  :smitten:

I was only off work for 3 weeks but I was terrified too and it turned out to be the best thing for me.  I wasn't in nearly as good shape as you are so what it did for me was provide good distraction, I was miserable but at least I wasn't sitting home thinking about my symptoms all day long. Another thing it did for me was it gave me a sense of accomplishment when my confidence was at an all time low, you know how it is, the benzo's lies are strong. 

I had deficits in functioning of course so I had to come up with tools to help me with memory, approaching and managing tasks and being around people but it was all doable and facing my fear and conquering it was empowering. 

I think you're going to do great, dread and anticipation are powerful feelings which can bring on so much stress so I think once you get back and acclimated to your surroundings you're going to be just fine.  :thumbsup:

I was only off work for 3 weeks but I was terrified too and it turned out to be the best thing for me.  I wasn't in nearly as good shape as you are so what it did for me was provide good distraction, I was miserable but at least I wasn't sitting home thinking about my symptoms all day long. Another thing it did for me was it gave me a sense of accomplishment when my confidence was at an all time low, you know how it is, the benzo's lies are strong. 

I had deficits in functioning of course so I had to come up with tools to help me with memory, approaching and managing tasks and being around people but it was all doable and facing my fear and conquering it was empowering. 

I think you're going to do great, dread and anticipation are powerful feelings which can bring on so much stress so I think once you get back and acclimated to your surroundings you're going to be just fine.  :thumbsup:

Pamster,

Thank you so much for your kind words are for sharing your personal experience. I can't even begin to tell you how much reading your story instantly helped calm some of the fear. You make some fantastic points and I really do forget that I tend to feel 100% when I'm out and about doing things and  keeping busy with my mind distratced, so I can only hope that will be the same for the distraction of work.

I also have to add that you and anyone else who worked through this is beyond incredibly strong and determined. Thank you again for your words and advice❤️

My buddy Killthegame was also scared about work. However it turns out work was a great distraction. Now he's working two jobs.

Rid yourself of the doubt and fear and your half healed.

God bless music60

I've been lucky enough to work throughout my taper and I think it is a great distraction!

There are days when I  work from home and I find I struggle on those days. Getting out of the house and interacting with others takes my mind off things :)

Good luck! I am sure you will go great.

I've been lucky enough to work throughout my taper and I think it is a great distraction!

There are days when I  work from home and I find I struggle on those days. Getting out of the house and interacting with others takes my mind off things :)

Good luck! I am sure you will go great.

I dreaded weekends!  :o

I went back to work 4 months after my jump and while it can be hard some days I’m so glad I did it. It’s a great distraction.

Thank you everyone sharing your personal experiences and for the encouragement! You have all helped ease my mind and provided me with immense comfort!! I head back tomorrow and am feeling prepared and capable.... Ready to be "comfortable feeling uncomfortable" when I need to.

Thank you again everyone  :smitten:

Please let us know how it goes and remember that one day could be difficult while the next day might be okay, just don't assume all days will be difficult and hopefully you won't get overwhelmed. 

I'm in the same boat.  About to go back to work in a couple weeks.  Quite scared about it.  I'm know I'm going to have panic attacks.  "comfortable feeling uncomfortable" is a good moto.  That's what I need to do.  To go out there and allow myself to feel some of the fear.  Wade in a bit.  Seems to be the only sound psychological way to cope. 

The first week went really well!! I've been having some mild symtpoms in the evening but while I'm actually at work it acts as a great distration and I don't notice any of my symtpoms. Today I'm feeling things a bit more but it may be a comedown off of the stress mixed with everything.

I'm trying not to be too paranoid about hand sanitizer use, I work in a hospital so it's inevitable that I have to use it but I'm trying to wash my hands as much as I can instead, I'm still pretty paranoid about any possible absorption through the skin, as crazy as that sounds.

Still feeling the fear but it's definitely gotten easier.

Thank you again everyone for sharing your experiences, it's eased my mind alot and I'm very grateful for this community!

Itismytime,

So happy to hear your first week went as well as it did. Wishing you all the best in continuing to improve and enjoy being back at work and living your life. It's very encouraging to hear.  Hugs!

LiveLife

I'm thrilled for you, I was wondering how it went!  I know its difficult to keep your fear in check but I can see you're fighting back on it, good job.  :thumbsup:

I'm headed back to work and I have to be honest, I'm terrified. I would consider myself mostly healed now but I do still get waves here and there. I can't take any more time off, I need to go back. Which means an adjustment for my whole family as having me back at work also means my kids are back in care.

I have to go back, I have no other choice at this point for a variety of reasons, and while I believe I'm healed enough to handle it and any future waves that come, I have so much fear of the future! All of the what if's I'm just not really sure how to best cope with it. And then you hear the stories of people setback be stress and that just worries me even further, the thought of another setback is beyond terrifying.

Is there anyone here who has gone back to work and found it was actually helpful to them? Or if anyone has some words of advice or wisdom id love if you'd share it with me  :smitten:

Hello again long time no talk! I went back to work in March and was horrified because it was across the country and included lots of sales and people interactions. I actually found it a helpful distraction. Don't worry too much about it. It's probably just the fear venters in your brain firing off too much! And you remember how severe I was and still get!

Work will be bittersweet for a bit ok? It will be an adjustment at first, but then you'll find its good to get the brain focused on something other than your recovery - which will help your recovery! And over time it builds your confidence.

Create an easy routine for morning, and prep what you can the night before. Keep your life super simple to accommodate this new change of  going back.

It helped me to just go back part time at first.

There will be days its gonna suck. So you need to decide if its a "sick day" or a show up and go through the motions kinda day where you do the absolute minimum to survive it. You may find mornings are hard but as the day goes on it lets up.

I have so many opportunities now I almost need to clone myself. I'm doing my first community presentation this week - ironically its for long covid patients and I'm doing a powerpoint on how to navigate through and cope with chronic illness (hmm wonder where we all learned this?? Damn benzos recovery).

Good luck to you returning to work - keep us posted how it all goes!

Work will be bittersweet for a bit ok? It will be an adjustment at first, but then you'll find its good to get the brain focused on something other than your recovery - which will help your recovery! And over time it builds your confidence.

Create an easy routine for morning, and prep what you can the night before. Keep your life super simple to accommodate this new change of  going back.

It helped me to just go back part time at first.

There will be days its gonna suck. So you need to decide if its a "sick day" or a show up and go through the motions kinda day where you do the absolute minimum to survive it. You may find mornings are hard but as the day goes on it lets up.

I have so many opportunities now I almost need to clone myself. I'm doing my first community presentation this week - ironically its for long covid patients and I'm doing a powerpoint on how to navigate through and cope with chronic illness (hmm wonder where we all learned this?? Damn benzos recovery).

Good luck to you returning to work - keep us posted how it all goes!

Thank you so much Trina, I genuinely appreciate hearing from people who have been through this and had positive experiences. I find there is so much fear that circulates around stress and setbacks that that's probably what's had me worked up the most over all of this.

So far things have been really good and you are 100% right, its a great distraction! My symptoms do seem to kick up on days that have been exceptionally hard but for the most part its random as its always been and I'm trying not to read to much into it and to just roll with it.

Thank you again for your experience and kind words, it truly means alot!