1mg to 0.5mg for 6/7 months - rebound withdrawal

[Ro...]

Hi, started lorazepam 1mg and then down to 0.5mg on and off for the last 6 or 7 months (to treat insommnia due to hypnic jerks). Not really knowing much about benzo's I decided to stop taking them without tapering from the 0.5mg dose - after 4 or 5 days of sleepless nights I felt really good, was sleeping very well for about 2 weeks. Then I noticed my sleep deteriorate and then by week 3 feelings of anxiety and depression hit me quite hard. From reading up I think that I experienced rebound withdrawal. I reached for the 0.5mg dose and have been back on them for the last 5 days. That's when I started researching them and found out how addictive they are and how they need to be tapered off. Looking for advice...

Hello Robbie123,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, we are glad you have joined the community!  We suggest a slow taper from benzos if you want to get off them for good.  Reducing you dose around 5-10% every two weeks or so keeps those dreadful withdrawl symptoms to a minimum and allows you to stay functional.  The benzo-related insomnia does eventually clear up and your body learns to sleep reasonably well without benzos.

I've put some links below to get you started.  One you are settled in, you can begin posting.  Let us know if you have questions or need help.

Again, welcome,

Kate08

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

The Ashton Manual

Insomnia