Clonazepam

[Re...]

Just starting to taper after six years on Clonazepam. In tolerance withdrawal, ill, and haven't even dropped my dose yet. Dreading.

Hello Reluctant Taper Lady, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I know its a daunting task but there's something to be said about making a plan and taking action when we're miserable, it can be empowering.  I'm sorry to hear you're in tolerance withdrawal, it can be as bad as actual withdrawal and some members have said that they begin to feel better once they start their taper, hopefully you can say the same.

We typically recommend reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms dictate so you can hopefully stay functional.  I'll give you links to some resources as well as boards on the forum that will suit your needs but feel free to explore and ask questions if you have them.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual

Thank you, Pamster, for the encouragement and the resources. I am especially heartened to hear that some people start to feel better once they start their taper. I am planning a 5% exponential taper every two weeks, decreasing the percentage of the previous dose as get further along. My situation is further complicated by the fact that I have Multiple Sclerosis, and it is virtually impossible to figure out whether symptoms can be attributed to MS or benzo withdrawal. Mercy.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Welcome to BB Reluctant Taper Lady. This is a great support forum for ppl trying to detox benzos. IMO, the best forum on the internet for benzo detox.

How much klonopin are you on right now?

Ok, thanks!

Tolerance w/d sucks. Been there, done that with klonopin myself back in 2006. How long did the drug work ok for you bf things started going south?

How much relief do you get after the AM and PM doses before you start feeling bad again?

The tolerance withdrawal was insidious. I started Clonazepam back in April 2016. In June 2017 I suffered fluoroquinolone toxicity, which was brutal, and some of its effects can still be felt today. I wasn't surprised (because of the FQ toxicity) that I was feeling more anxious and depressed. Then, in January 2021, I saved my son from choking to death during a seizure, which aggravated my PTSD. I upped the clonazepam from .75 mg/day to 1 mg/day. Since then, I have gotten more and more anxiety, odd chemical-type depression, and emotional blunting. I put it down to PTSD, but as my son's situation got better and better, mine got worse. My psychiatrist upped me to 1.125, and I had paranoia. All my furniture was looking at me! I have since developed phobias and stopped driving. I find that each dose holds me for about 6-8 hours, then worsening of symptoms. That said, I'm on the Accord generic, which some say might as well be called drywall. ;-)

I'm on the Accord generic, which some say might as well be called drywall.

I don't understand. Explain.

Is klonopin the only psychotropic you are on?

Are you gonna try to dry cut your way off the klonopin?

Accord is one of the manufacturers of (poor quality, cheap) clonazepam. I plan to use a compounding pharmacy to make the dosages I need or provide a liquid form of the drug.

Not yet. I recently had a possible MS flare. My neurologist wants me to wait until my condition has been stable a few weeks before starting to taper. At this point, I think I'm experiencing both tolerance withdrawal AND side effects. Is that possible?

How about you? I see you are tapering Valium. In your experience, is it easier to taper klonopin or Valium (or did you crossover from K to Valium?).