Amitriptyline

[go...]

I am a severe case of neuralgia and in excruciating pain.My doctor has prescribed amitriptyline for pain and I have already declined many other medicines because of withdrawal ,i am still in acute phase.can i take amitriptyline for during withdrawal it's very necessary but I am worried if it will increase my withdrawal symptoms. Please someone with sufficient knowledge suggest me ASAP 🙏🏻🙏🏻

Hey there!

Here's the deal:.  Every body is different. Therefore, what works for some might not for others. Honestly, all the meds I tried during withdrawal made things worse.  HOWEVER, by month 6 my nerve pain was so debilitating I was willing to give amitriptyline a try.  I got lucky and it helped me! But for others here it did not. But if you do end up trying it I can tell you what me and my neurologist did:

The starting dose for amitrip is usually 10mg (sometimes more) but they usually want you to go to 20mg pretty fast. We did not do this! We started very small and very slow. I did 2.5mg for a week, then 5mg. for a week, then 7.5mg for a week. Then on the 4th week 10mg. It was during that 4th week at 10mg I could tell it was helping. So I stayed there. I only took 10mg. And it took the edge off the pain and got me out of the wheelchair. It was a game changer for me. But we never increased past 10mg. That's basically a starting dose, took a month to get there, and it's all I needed. I didn't have side effects doing it like that!

I feel like docs always try to give too much too fast, and our bodies in WD just can't take it. There is no reason why you can't go small and slow.    I am coming up on 3 years off and I still take the 10mg. Honestly, my life is so great I just haven't wanted to mess with it!!! 

If you do give it a try talk to your doc about options for titrating up.

Best of luck to you!!!!

Everyone is different. But for me I was starting to pull through, starting to feel much better 3 months out after having flumazenil treatments. The doctor prescribed some amitriptyline so that I can get more sleep and it threw me right back into withdrawal. Haven't pulled out since. But everyone is different so it's hard to say how it will work for you. Hugs!

LiveLife

I have just started amitriptyline recently.  Doc started slow, did 5mg for nerve pain and sleep.  Did 5mg for 4 days, then 10mg for 9 days, started with side effects such as rapid heartbeat and overwhelming daytime fatigue and no relief for pain or much help with sleep.  Doc said due to side effects which he felt would only get worse as we raised the dose to get off.  Said to take 5 for a week, then 2.5 for a week and then try to stop.  I was wondering if I should shorten that time to try to get off as soon as possible so I don’t habituate to it and get withdrawal.  I’ve now done 5 for 4 days and thought maybe I should 2.5 tonight and for a couple nights and stop.  Any opinions.