New to the group

[st...]

Hey everyone.  I have been taking alprazolam (xanax) off and on for over 30 years due to a several anxiety disorder/panic attacks/PTSD from an abusive relationship.  I have taken it for long periods and weaned before but at this time, I've been on for about 20 years at varying doses, as high as 1 mg 4x a day and currently at 1 mg 3x a day.  I'm meeting with my physician in a few weeks with the intent of discussing tapering. 

Hello stoughton,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  You've come to the right place for information and support as you begin to taper off alprazolam.

It's good you are meeting with your doctor. I will mention that some doctors prefer a far too fast and aggressive taper plan. After such long term use of benzos, it will be important to taper slowly, so your body can adjust to the dose reductions.

Generally, we suggest reducing no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.  I'll give you a link to the Planning Your Withdrawal Board for more information. Some people go even slower, adopting a symptom based taper. Others use a daily dose reduction schedule. You'll find information about these methods on the board I am giving you the link to.

Your dose is still quite high so it may take a while to taper.  It can take patience and acceptance.  Additionally, it's very helpful to know you are not alone in this process.  Connecting with others can be a lifeline in what can be a challenging process.  I'll give you a link to the Withdrawal Support Board where you can post and receive feedback from others.

Settle in and do some reading.  Arm yourself with a lot of knowledge and you'll find the plan that works best for you.  Please do ask questions, we're here to help.  This is doable, with a sensible taper plan.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

pianogirl  :)