Loss of smell and taste

[So...]

Over the last few weeks my sense of smell has diminished and nearly disappeared, and my sense of taste is following after.

Is it normal to lose sense of smell and taste in withdrawal?

This happened after i took a dose of 10 mg valium for my akathisia as told by my Doctor (i do regret it yes). I have tested for covid several times, and i dont seem to have it.

Over the last few weeks my sense of smell has diminished and nearly disappeared, and my sense of taste is following after.

This happened after i took a dose of 10 mg valium for my akathisia as told by my Doctor (i do regret it yes). I have tested for covid several times, and i dont seem to have it.

Livelife is the only other person I can think of that had this symptom. So yeah, it does happen.

I'd stay away from any medication that aren't essential for a while, doctors like to throw stuff around but unfortunately not many understand this condition and often make things worse.

Livelife is the only other person I can think of that had this symptom. So yeah, it does happen.

I'd stay away from any medication that aren't essential for a while, doctors like to throw stuff around but unfortunately not many understand this condition and often make things worse.

Hi, do you know if Livelife got smell and taste back?

Hi, do you know if Livelife got smell and taste back?

Yeah I think so, drop her a PM, I'm sure she won't mind

I had loss of taste, but not smell. It happened while I was still on benzos (but 90% of my withdrawal symptoms happened while I was still on benzos, rather than post-taper). Mine disappeared suddenly and was gone for about 6 months! I also tested for Covid a bunch of times, both PCR and antibody testing.

I think mine was also complicated by supplements I was taking. I suspect other meds could complicate things too. For me the key was ditching my zinc supplement! My taste started improving after I quit taking that.

Sofa,

I did answer your p.m. but I will confirm that my taste and smell has returned. It came back in about month 21 a few hours a day and by month 22 it was completely back. I'm almost to 24 months out now. Sure wish some of these other horrible symptoms would leave I've been really struggling in a terrible wave. Hugs!

LiveLife

Sofa,

Hello there!  I have loss of taste and smell.  It’s been about 14 months since I lost it. Nope

Not Covid either, it totally sucks, I can taste small amounts of sweet and salty foods. Smell

Is hit and miss. I wish I could be more positive but…….  Withdrawal. 

I’m hoping it will be along soon.  LiveLife had the same, it’s back for her!! So we can hope.

Also theirs a great chance yours will be back very soon.

Hugs to you. Kudos2

• 2 weeks later...

I  had this symptom too for the longest time, started long before covid was even around.

For How long was your smell and taste gone? Do you remember?

I  had this symptom too for the longest time, started long before covid was even around.

For How long was your smell and taste gone? Do you remember?

Oh I'm a bad example, Sofa, cause I'm protracted, it was gone for almost 4 years, but since I had covid almost 18 months ago, and I still have minor losses of both smell and taste, it's hard to tell what this is because of, covid or withdrawal.  Probably just covid at this point.