Author Topic: Having family over for the first time in three years while in a wave - help  (Read 295 times)

[Buddie]

One thing thats sorta helped me with all the impossible scenarios, visits, social engagements you kinda have to do but are totally wrecked for, is break things down into increments in your mind. like if theres a gathering of folks for a long day and you just dont have anywhere near the strength to face it, break it down into 'sections'

Like if youre talking to a few friends or something, get through that few minutes, then excuse yourself for a bathroom break or something, disappear for a few minutes and 'regroup' - ok, youve made it through that portion of time. maybe somethings going on that doesnt directly involve you, and you can sneak away and take a break sitting somewhere, or even if youre engaged with people, look for the most comfortable way to do it, to sit or lean on something, and then get through that portion of time. eventually, some hours will go by and you realize youre still alive and can make it.

thats how ive made it. its still torture, its still very hard, but i try to portion things in my head, and take 'breaks' when i can, even if that break means youre standing there with people but are just quiet without the energy to speak. i cant tell you how many times i tried to go out on a bad day, knowing i didnt have the strength, and would sneak out and hide in my car (or someone elses if not in shape to drive) and catch my breath, then go back in, endure another hour, then sneak out again for a 'break' or sneak into the basement or something lol.

break up your engagements with people into sections. get through each few minutes as you can.

however you have to do it, youll be amazed at how little people even notice, no one has any idea what you feel like, and when things are going on, people dont really notice our weird habits. i realize if youre having guests you cant exactly disappear for long periods, but just find those little oasis of breaks somehow, sometimes even if tis just a couple minutes. , its amazing how much you can 'hide' in plain sight and its really not even a big deal to anyone.

just some thoughts on it all. but basically, break it all up, its not 5 days with family (or whatever) its, how do i get through the next hour, then get through the hour after that, however you need.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

[...], good advice.  I used to go nap in my car or in the ladies' locker room at work for about 20 minutes during my lunch break when I was in tolerance w/d.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.