If caused by benzo withdrawal - it'll heal with time?

[gs...]

I have heard so many people say that if an issue is caused by benzos or benzo withdrawal then that same issue will heal in due time.

Is this true or are there any issues caused by benzos or benzo wd which cant/won't heal with time?

I can only speak for myself, I’m almost 5 years off. I had a horrible withdrawal with every symptom in the book, now I only have occasional tinnitus. Pretty much everything else has gone and the tinnitus I sometimes get isn’t that bad at all.

I can only speak for myself, I’m almost 5 years off. I had a horrible withdrawal with every symptom in the book, now I only have occasional tinnitus. Pretty much everything else has gone and the tinnitus I sometimes get isn’t that bad at all.

I hope the tinnitus clears up too! How many years did it take for most of the symptoms to disappear?

For some tinnitus is the last symptom to leave, mine was only minor and it left before I fully recovered. 

Is this true or are there any issues caused by benzos or benzo wd which cant/won't heal with time?

As long as it's tapered off appropriately, there should be no permanent damage. The risk of permanent damage comes from excitotoxicity from either going cold turkey or tapering far too rapidly relative to the amount of time the benzo was being used. But it's absolutely possible to get off Benzo's with only damage that is completely reversible with enough time. The brain is an absolutely amazing organ with the ability to fully regenerate itself. But you must take good care of your liver and your gut health so your immune system has the resources available for the repair works.

I would like to know this as well. Some of us had no choice about tapering, I was forced to CT zopiclone after 12 years by a new doctor. After 39 months still not recovered but physical symptoms definitely eased, but not the mental. The sleep still not great but expected that, as that was reason I took zop for initially, but it’s manageable.

As long as it's tapered off appropriately, there should be no permanent damage. The risk of permanent damage comes from excitotoxicity from either going cold turkey or tapering far too rapidly relative to the amount of time the benzo was being used. But it's absolutely possible to get off Benzo's with only damage that is completely reversible with enough time. The brain is an absolutely amazing organ with the ability to fully regenerate itself. But you must take good care of your liver and your gut health so your immune system has the resources available for the repair works.

Permanent damage?!!

I was also given bad medical advice and did detox as we had no idea then the info that we know now. I am 3.9 years out and was always under the impression we would heal. You are saying cold turkey can lead to permanent damage?! This is beyond terrifying!

That comment did concern me a bit, especially for anyone who was forced to CT. I was given no choice and couldn’t get any more. I think lot things affect recovery, size of dose, length time on meds, and other health issues. Sometimes just bad luck, I have tried everything to try assist recovery, but still got lingering mental symptoms. Baylisssa, Jennifer  Leigh people like that all say we will recover.

That comment did concern me a bit, especially for anyone who was forced to CT. I was given no choice and couldn’t get any more. I think lot things affect recovery, size of dose, length time on meds, and other health issues. Sometimes just bad luck, I have tried everything to try assist recovery, but still got lingering mental symptoms. Baylisssa, Jennifer  Leigh people like that all say we will recover.

Yes, I was doing a taper and seeing a psychiatrist who kept trying to make me think all of my symptoms were underlying anxiety and decided to try me on a antidepressant and with two days I was back in the ER and they are the ones who suggested detox and we looked into the Coleman Institute and he saw a really good story. Little did we know how detrimental that would be. I’ve been on an insanely healthy diet and I had no other health issues also. Are used Xanax .25  as needed for four years prior to the tornado.

Jen and Baylissa also have told me the same thing over the years.

Fraz1990,

Please provide a citation or other evidence for your claims.  As far as I know a rapid taper or cold turkey will most likely produce more intense symptoms not effect recovery from the damage done by the drug and certainly has no bearing on possible permanent damage.  Of course, my statement is based on anecdotal evidence I've seen on the forum and because I lived it, I'm suspecting your statement is based on anecdotal evidence as well.

Pamster

Thanks for your comments Pamster, reassuring  for those of us forced to CT against our will. Like hopeful felt very concerned symptoms could be permanent. I do think some of it is just down to luck, some people who did long taper still end up with protracted withdrawal symptoms, equally some of those on high doses recover relatively easily.

Thanks for your comments Pamster, reassuring  for those of us forced to CT against our will. Like hopeful felt very concerned symptoms could be permanent. I do think some of it is just down to luck, some people who did long taper still end up with protracted withdrawal symptoms, equally some of those on high doses recover relatively easily.

Let’s go with the thought of we will heal, because thinking that we won’t, won’t help put our nervous system into the state it needs to better thrive and heal. That is what I am deciding to do!

• 2 months later...

Do medication sensitivities get better too?

Did you do any supplementation for your liver or just healthy eating ? I eat clean and juice. I've noticed the most improvement from juicing so far, mostly vegetables. I did ct, I have had quite a terrible time but being off the amount of time I have I'm still hoping to recover, I for some reason worried about blindness for a long time.