Ativan to Valium taper

[On...]

I joined BB to share my experience on Benzo’s and to communicate with people going through a similar experience. Was using 2-3 mgs of Ativan for 1.5 months along with a low dose seroquel (50mgs). currently on a Valium taper at 10 mgs which I started 3 weeks ago..it’s been rough because I gained such a strong dependence/tolerance on the high Ativan dose. The crossover to Valium  has been really tough because I was using the equivalent to 20-30 mgs and they originally cut me to 7 mgs of Valium but reinstated at 10 because I was experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms.

Hello Onelife :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are pleased you joined and look forward to hearing more from you.  I am sorry you were given the wrong equivalent of diazepam that’s awful, you’ve done well to get through it.  Take it slow,  I am sure you will get plenty of support here.  Check out the forum, you will find some great support and lots of information.

Reducing your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days is the rule of thumb. Many go slower, whatever feels comfortable.

I'll leave you a few links:

Withdrawal Support

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

If you can take time to check out The Ashton Manual, It gives us a better understanding why we feel the way we do 

The Ashton Manual.

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) to help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Thanks margrita,

Iv studied and presented the Ashton Manuel to my doctor but he outright refused to mix Ativan and diazepam.He’s also keen on the thought that the equivalency is 5-1..he said it’s actually between 5-10 which is a crazy range to be working with, especially putting me at the bottom of that range..  In a way, I’m kinda okay with decision (at this point). The first couple weeks of switching were torturous..I had a good night tonight at 10 mgs so maybe I saved some time by going through a little torture . I didn’t sleep at all but was able to listen to music and go out for a drive which I enjoyed. Days are totally different story..at 7mgs I saw no windows  all day, can’t work, won’t leave the house, akithisia, intrusive thoughts, crazy neuropathy in my feet which my doc suggests is something unrelated to benzo withdrawal (totally untrue). I’ve bitten almost all my nails off (sorry if that’s tmi). The GI issues are starting to rumble, I fear they will get worse as I go down but he’s at least agreed to liquid taper once the dose gets small enough..just feel I should have been started higher but I fear reinstating higher at this point will crush my soul, I just want off asap

You should be proud of yourself, you have a great attitude, it will get you through this ordeal.  I can identify with all of the symptoms you are experiencing.  I admire you for wanting to move forward, take your time. I am so glad your doctor has agreed to a liquid taper if things get tough at lower doses.  I had a lot of issues with my feet..I couldn't wear shoes! the pain was dreadful...all disappeared in recovery.

You will come through this

Magrita :smitten:

I’m pretty scared atm, I’m not really able to function during the day..waking up after minimal sleep with tingling all over the body and head pain..I know this taper was done improperly and I should have not been crossed over cold turkey. I’m already in so much discomfort, it seems inhumane. My body is strong but my mind has been incapacitated by the steep drop off, I’m simply going to deteriorate on this program..the night time dose settles me but was still unable to sleep, god..