my pcp is leaving the practice

[ju...]

i just got a letter in the mail that my primary doctor is leaving the practice  in 2016 my first doctor retired then a pa-c  took over and she kept me on my ativan...... even though she did not like benzos  now that she is leaving...... i signed up for a psychiatrist  place that does telehealth because i am an agoraphobic  ....... my question is do you think since ive been on ativan for 9 years they will try messing with it ....... i  do not want to try and get another primary doctor  because in my area  most of them will not prescribe a benzo anymore  it is happening a lot all over the usa

You are correct jumpman, it is happening around the US that benzos losing favor and here is what happened to me:  two and a half years ago my doctor told me she wanted me off the clonazepam I had been on for 21 years.  She said that the hospital system she worked for was urging docs to quit prescribing benzos - they had tackled opioids and were now taking on benzos.  That warning and some other factors led to me *finally* tapering off clonazepam after such a long time on it.

Not even a year after I was off benzos, the hospital system came into my doc's office on a Friday and closed her practice!  I never heard what happened with her (I'm sure it wasn't good and I suspect prescribing controlled substances had something to do with it) but I was so grateful I was off benzos and not scurrying around, trying to find another prescriber in an environment where docs are getting reluctant to Rx them.

kate i am not tapering and i do not have a provider at this time i did sign up yesterday to a mental health place  for medication management  so finger crossed i get in a can get a provider

I'll hope with you that a new provider will appear for you.  Are you holding now and waiting until you get a new provider to taper to help you?

not holding or tapering i planned to start my tapering this year  around the fall time then this happened so i have to secure a provider or i will be in  trouble  so that is my first step  hopefully the new place calls me this week  i may just call monday anyways to see whats going on 

• 4 weeks later...

You are correct jumpman, it is happening around the US that benzos losing favor and here is what happened to me:  two and a half years ago my doctor told me she wanted me off the clonazepam I had been on for 21 years.  She said that the hospital system she worked for was urging docs to quit prescribing benzos - they had tackled opioids and were now taking on benzos.  That warning and some other factors led to me *finally* tapering off clonazepam after such a long time on it.

Not even a year after I was off benzos, the hospital system came into my doc's office on a Friday and closed her practice!  I never heard what happened with her (I'm sure it wasn't good and I suspect prescribing controlled substances had something to do with it) but I was so grateful I was off benzos and not scurrying around, trying to find another prescriber in an environment where docs are getting reluctant to Rx them.

Good for you Kate. This is also happening more and more in the area where I live. These new doctors coming out of medical school now will not prescribe benzos to you. Most will however Rx ADs. This is probably one of the biggest fears longtime benzo users have, esp. the ones who have no intention of trying to come off these drugs.

It is best to get off benzos because they are hard to get.  I tried to get them from multiple doctors before I went cold turkey and couldn't get any.  It was my psychiatrist that prescribed the sleeping pills for 5 years.  I was abusing them and wanted to get off them before they decided to cut me off them for running out every two weeks and calling the hospital every time I ran out to try and get more.