Many physical symptoms lessened, but anxiety ramps up!

[Pe...]

Hi all, I'm 5 months off a rapid detox of 22.5mg mg Valium. The past months were very rough, and at last some of my symptoms are lessening but anxiety seems to increase. I am afraid because I always was an anxious person but could manage this in my life. It didn't control me. I had panic attacks on long travels but that was mostly only on the first few days. I also could be anxious about my job. But never so severe as this just sitting on the couch at home!

I can sleep longer (5 hours now), I have less nerve-pains, the restlessness has decreased, my speech is better, motor-coordination is better.

It seems like it is my own anxiety about this whole detox experience amplified by 5 or so.

I have off the charts anxiety 24/7 and don't know what to do anymore. It is much stronger than what I had and lasts the whole day. Is this the new me after 5 months? Maybe someone can relate or went through this? Thanks!

This isn't the new you, you're still early in recovery.  I never had anxiety until I started taking then stopping Klonopin, I took it for sleep so when I felt it for the first time I had a new understanding of what those who have it chronically have to deal with.  The thing is, benzo's create an insane level of anxiety so most members who have recovered say their original anxiety is much easier to deal with by comparison.

Thank you Pamster! I really need this support to put me back on track sometimes. My p-doc is of no help and my wife doesn't understand anymore. Only this forum knows what withdrawal really is and how long it lasts. It is a heavy burden, and even more so when no one around you understands.

Anxiety is ramping up today again, to a level it hurts in my brain. Really hard to cope...

My anxiety is better after 4 months.  I only got stressed out at work or if an inlaw gets nasty.  I have to stay with my brother though or anxiety is severe when I go home.  I still miss restoral as it helped me work better with people at work.

Thanks Dom for your reply. So after 4 months anxiety eased up for you? I am 5 months out and anxiety is extreme. I can hardly make it through the day and am thinking a lot about getting myself committed into a hospital. Trying some medication to battle the anxiety but unsure about the effects.

I don't want to get back on benzo's after a 5 months battle to be free from them.

• 3 weeks later...
My anxiety is better after 4 months as long as I stay around my brother.  If I am alone I get anxiety.  I tried the hospital route of getting myself admitted every time I ran out of pills all of 2021 and January of this year.  The benzoes made the anxiety extreme to the point where I was willing to risk getting committed to get pills.  I couldn't control my use.  My sister talked me into telling the doctor I wanted off benzos.  You need support from  people though because when I quit I drank for about a month to stop the anxiety.  Now my anxiety is much better not like when I was withdrawing or on them panicking all the time