lorazepam Intensol dilution

[gr...]

Hi, I have tried practically every method of tapering with not much success. At the moment I am cutting and holding, but I am starting to think my scale is inaccurate or the medication is not evenly distributed throughout the pill. I have been going extremely slow with my taper but I am having pretty rough withdrawals everyday. I am thinking about getting the lorazepam Intensol (liquid lorazepam) The problem is that the lowest dosage is 2mg.  I am currently a little lower than .2mg. My question is how do I dilute this to taper? What is the math involved to figure this out?

Thank you in advance any help would be greatly appreciated!!

There have been several discussions about this on the Tapering Off Ativan Support Thread in Support Groups.  If memory serves, members Diannedeedee and Sunshine75 have used this approach.

You’re welcome, gray cloud.  You might also garner ideas from reading member BenThrottle’s posts. He is diluting Rivotril drops (a 2.5mg/mL oral solution of clonazepam) and did a good job of documenting his approach.

Hi Libertas, My current dose is .1mg in the morning and .1mg in the evening. How do I dilute this to come up with .1mg.? If I use 1/2 of the dropper of intensol which is 1mg/1ml would the dilution be 9ml of water to 1ml of intensol? Then would my dose be 1ml of the mixed solution? Not so great with math...

Thanks libertas but that tool is  confusing me...  I asked Bob7 for help with the math so he will probably come here to help.

Thank you again Libertas!!

gray cloud,

You said to me earlier you think the dropper with the intensol has a marking for .5mg

If that is true, it is very easy to get 0.1 mg dose.

You would put 0.5 mg into 200 mL of water or milk and stir well.  Then drink 40 mL of it to get 0.1 mg.

HOWEVER

If you are unsure about the 0.5mg mark, then here is another way.

I understand you intensol is 1mg/1ml

(1) Get a 1 mL syringe - here is a link https://smile.amazon.com/1ml-Syringe-Individually-Medicine-Administration/dp/B07GX4RJF3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3DIKQPN0WIYS9&keywords=1+ml+syringes+sterile+no+needle&qid=1652210137&sprefix=1+ml+sy%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-3

(2) Also get 10 mL syringes - here is a link https://smile.amazon.com/10ml-Syringe-Sterile-BH-SUPPLIES/dp/B07KQP69RG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=194T29F3FW9PP&keywords=10+ml+syringes+sterile+no+needle&qid=1652210240&sprefix=10+ml+syringes+sterile+no+needle%2Caps%2C85&sr=8-3

(2) Put 1 mL of intensol into a jar

(3) Add 100 mL of water or milk and mix well

(4) Use your 10 mL syringe (each 10 mL will be 0.1 mg of drug).

Good luck.

Bob

Thank you Bob! Yes it definitely has a .5mg marking I double checked with Diannedee. And thank you very much for help me with the math!!

Sorry but I have one more question.... Once I begin reducing from the .1 again I would  take 39ml then 38ml and so on til I reach zero?

Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it so much!!! :)

Sorry but I have one more question.... Once I begin reducing from the .1 again I would  take 39ml then 38ml and so on til I reach zero?

Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it so much!!! :)

Absolutely.  That is a great way to do it. 

I would also recommend you keep a journal every day of your dose and your symptoms.  You can then look back on it to decided if dropping 1 mL per day is working for you and make adjustments to slow down or speed up.

gray cloud,

You said to me earlier you think the dropper with the intensol has a marking for .5mg

If that is true, it is very easy to get 0.1 mg dose.

You would put 0.5 mg into 200 mL of water or milk and stir well.  Then drink 40 mL of it to get 0.1 mg.

HOWEVER

If you are unsure about the 0.5mg mark, then here is another way.

I understand you intensol is 1mg/1ml

(1) Get a 1 mL syringe - here is a link https://smile.amazon.com/1ml-Syringe-Individually-Medicine-Administration/dp/B07GX4RJF3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3DIKQPN0WIYS9&keywords=1+ml+syringes+sterile+no+needle&qid=1652210137&sprefix=1+ml+sy%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-3

(2) Also get 10 mL syringes - here is a link https://smile.amazon.com/10ml-Syringe-Sterile-BH-SUPPLIES/dp/B07KQP69RG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=194T29F3FW9PP&keywords=10+ml+syringes+sterile+no+needle&qid=1652210240&sprefix=10+ml+syringes+sterile+no+needle%2Caps%2C85&sr=8-3

(2) Put 1 mL of intensol into a jar

(3) Add 100 mL of water or milk and mix well

(4) Use your 10 mL syringe (each 10 mL will be 0.1 mg of drug).

Good luck.

Bob

Just checking … isn’t the lorazepam Intensol 2mg/mL?

Hi Libertas,  I just double checked and you are correct it is  2MG/ML  It does have a graduated dropper that goes down to .5mg but will this change the whole formula as to how much water to add? It shouldn't right? My benzo brain is having a hard time...... I should probably ask Bob.

Thanks Libertas for helping with the 2mg/mL with a mark for giving 0.5 mg.

So for the two methods I gave, the top one is still use 200 mL of water and drink 40 mL to get 0.1 mg.

But for the "HOWEVER" version, the forth step would change to become:

(4) Use your 10 mL syringe BUT ONLY GIVE YOURSELF 5mL to get 0.1 mg of drug.

Thank you Bob. I am going to be using the top one so everything will stay the same.  And Thank you Libertas for pointing that out to me as it being 2mg/ml  for some reason I had thought that the lorazepam intensol was 2mg./2ml .  Thank you very much to both of you for helping me figure this out...  :hug:

Hi Bob and Libertas, I have a question about mixing the lorazepam intensol with the water. You had said to mix the .5mg of intensol which is 1/4 of a ml. with 200 ml of water. and then drink 40ml. But I was thinking shouldn't I mix 199.75 ml. of water considering that the intensol is .25ML.?  Or does it really make any difference considering it is only .25 of a ml. ? It would definitely be easier to just mix it with 200ml. of water...

Thank you!!!!

You are exactly right on both counts.

Yes, it is actually 199.75 mL

Also you are correct about it will not make any difference to your symptoms IMO.