I am having anxiety about tapering from Xanax

[On...]

I began my taper last week and it is going okay so far but thinking about it constantly is giving me anxiety.

I read story after story alternating between horror and success. I feel so torn.

Thank you.

Also wanted to add that in my life, I don't really have the time for a looooooong taper. It seems like many people here have time, money, support etc. I live with a major trigger person, I haven't worked in 4 years, 4 months (have a dog walking job 3x per week for last 3 weeks but that it only a few dollars a week)

I just feel trapped and worried like I need to just be off now but than withdraw for years?

Feeling rather hopeless with despair.

Thank you.

Started the taper cutting 1/4 from the midnight dose.

Actually moved each dose ahead by 2&1/2 hours: 8:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. 8:30 p.m. 2:30 a.m.(dose cut by 1/4 this Tuesday will be a week.) Will then cut 1/4 from 8:30 a.m. dose. Was using melatonin to help with sleep but noticed some days with incredible fatigue afterwards.

Trying to use only small doses of it sparingly or every other day or not at all etc.

I have lived with irrational fear since I was a child. Then when my parents basically abandoned me on the 7th great I experienced major depression missing lots of school. I live with my alchoholic father now and am basically codependent with him and my mother who is now experiencing memory loss. I am 48.

Xanax may have helped me survive but I basically withdrew from society 4 years, 4 mo ths ago.

All of this seems hard and endless. I went to a detox(state facility) place and left after 6 days. They switched my xanax to ativan(pointless) and then said okay that's it! Now withdrawal. I bolted.

I need to get off xanax for good and get a good job and take care of myself. Seems as if it is so far away and impossible. How could I do that if I had 2 years of withdrawal?

Thank you for any responses.

Hi OneLadyforPeace, I moved your thread to the withdrawal support board since it's a bit more active so you should get more replies.

I'm a bit concerned about your taper, you mention the not having the luxury of tapering for years but this may be the wrong way of looking at this.  A slow taper will hopefully allow you to stay functional while getting rid of the drug.  Incorporating a taper into your life and using it to minimize your symptoms can be a good thing because I've actually seen members do this successfully.

Can you tell us how long after you moved your dosing schedule you began to taper your last dose because any changes we make the body needs time to adjust.

Two days ago.

Tomorrow will be a week since the first cut, then moved the time 2 days ago now.

Plan to make 2nd cut tomorrow.

Only real symptom? Fatigue!

No melatonin and occasionally take a baby aspirin.

Thank you.

I also switched the morning dose to .25 to try and alleviate some fatigue. So frustrating.

So it goes .25 8:30 a.m. , .25 2:30 p.m.

.5 8:30 p.m.    3/4 of .5 2:30 a.m.

I have had insomnia issues long before I ever took a

benzo so broken sleep is just what I live with. I do pray

that one day I have regular sleep.

Also wondering if I need to get a full hormonal panel done.  Annoyed at how much these drugs affect so much of our bodies.

I can't relate to fatigue, it wasn't one of my symptoms, have you felt it before while taking Xanax or is it a new symptom?  Using your symptoms to guide your reductions is what we hope will keep you functioning, are you recording your reductions, your dose time changes and symptom severity to help you make future reductions?

Yes.

And fatigue is a new symptom.

Part of me feels like well, I have insomnia, anxiety, fatigue etc. while on the drug, trying to taper, so why not just go to a facility, rid the drug quickly and then just deal with the withdrawal process however bad. At least a doctor is there with blood pressure medicine or seizure medicines. Slow taper does not guarantee less withdrawal symptoms. In fact, there are no guarantees regarding any of this. And thinking about this obsessively is no good.

I didn't know about any of what I have learned on this web site 4 months ago when I tried cold turkey. Now, with all the info and horror stories, the mental side of it is now making it all worse. My anxiety is about coming off the medicine.

Hello

I started my taper today. I've been taking 1.5 mg of Klonopin for over 30 years. 1 mg am, .5 mg pm. I have also read so much about the side effects and the years of withdrawal symptoms that I'm feeling what you're feeling. I'm tapering 5% per daily for 30 days and will be working with a psychiatrist during the process.

I fearful of the entire process, withdrawal, panic attacks, seizures. Years of tapering and possibly being housebound. Missing my life, children, grandchildren and friends.

I'm so sorry for you both, I know how hopeless it all feels, I was lucky in a way, I had no idea what had happened to me when I quit cold turkey and didn't find out the truth of my situation until I joined BenzoBuddies 5 months later.

But there is hope, this is a long and painful process but you can recover from it if you keep working to get off of the drug.

OneLadyforPeace, you're right, there are no guarantees but most experts say a slow taper is the best way to go about this, but whatever you decide to do, we'll support you.

Talked for a long time to someone at one facility today.

This place does switch you from xanax to valium but then only for about 10 days!

I'm like ugggggghhhhhhhhhhhh. Anyway.

That's where I am. Stuck.

I prayed today for God to tell me once and for all what to do then a few minutes or so later that facility called me.

And then when I keep reading over and over about

benzo withdrawal can be lethal, it sticks in my mind.

Stuck.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

I don't understand where you're reading its lethal, yes, it can be dangerous to quit cold turkey without supervision or medication because of seizures but where are you hearing its lethal? 

Switching you to Valium them tapering you off in 10 days is going to be painful and pointless unless your goal is to be off the drug to deal with symptoms on your own.  But I believe you're better off controlling your taper so you can minimize your symptoms.  Please don't buy into the horror stories or the hype the facilities use to sell you on their methods.

OneLady, I had terrible anxiety about tapering off benzos so I do understand where you are with.  I wasn't at all convinced I could even get off benzos.  But once I did a couple of cuts and found that even though I had some withdrawl symptoms, I could muddle through them, it gave me some hope I could taper off.  So what I am say is that getting some momentum up helped me immensely but those beginning days were so anxiety-ridden for me too.

I did not go to a facility for the same reasons Pamster said - the thought of being taken off benzos quickly sounded dreadful.  I encourage you to try tapering at home for a while and see how it goes.  At least then you will have a reference point as to what tapering on you own is like from which to make an semi-informed decision.

Kate,

When you say "switched to liquid" what does that mean? You were prescribed liquid Klonopin? Or you put it in milk? Can you explain so I can do it? I use Xanax.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Lately, I have been doing better at home with my own taper. Thank you Lord God Almighty.

Kate,

When you say "switched to liquid" what does that mean? You were prescribed liquid Klonopin? Or you put it in milk? Can you explain so I can do it? I use Xanax.

Thank you.

I'm sorry - I am just seeing this.  I did a water taper at the end and I made it myself.  it looks like you are doing pkay but I will be glad to give you the link if you want it.

Please take a look at my signature. I started where you are, did a fairly fast taper, I never switched to valium, I dry cut. Look up the 45 day benzo taper - its online I have no idea how to insert a link here. I thought that made more sense FOR ME than the long Ashton. My symptoms were completely manageable during the taper. Im 5 days out from my jump I have very mild symptoms so far. I was terrified at the beginning. Read my first post. I was completely unnerved by others' stories - also encouraged. Everyone doesn't have a horrible time of it.

You can do this 

Yes to both posts above. Appreciate any links.

Also, just google the 45 day benzo taper?

Thank.you.

And feeling hopeful.  :)

Thank you.

Lately, I have been doing better at home with my own taper. Thank you Lord God Almighty.

Excellent news, your taper, your way, I like it.  :thumbsup:

I began my taper last week and it is going okay so far but thinking about it constantly is giving me anxiety.

I read story after story alternating between horror and success. I feel so torn.

Thank you.

I just wanted to let you know that I’m in the same situation. I’m in bad tolerance of X, yet terrified to even start tapering again.

I'm sorry.

I am doing ok. Just the sleep issue.

I started reading the book of the woman that got off Kolonopin. (Howling dogs....)The lack of sleep she endured is wow.

Okay, down to less than 1 my per day already.

No interdose withdrawal symptoms.

Just feeling some fatigue and of course the perpetual insomnia which is of course to be expected.I am concerned about seizures though because looking back, I am fairly certain I had some mini ones here and there.

Have you discussed your concern about seizures with your doctor?  I'm not familiar with the symptoms of one but I see from a brief google search there is something called an absence seizure.  Typically those who taper don't need to worry about seizures, do you have a history?