Any positive experiences with Remeron/Mirtazapine?

[Hu...]

I know that there will be those who advise against all meds. With, genuinely, all due respect, I'd like if just those who have had positive experiences could comment here. I am taking citalopram, which is primarily anti-depressant and not anxiolytic.

I don't want to up my dose, I'd like to stay on my current low dose of citalopram as it is helping my depression (I have none currently) with no side effects.

I'd like to introduce mirtaz/remeron as it is more useful traditionally for anti-anxiety purposes. Again, also at a low dose, just to curb my anxiety a little.

Any advice?

i thought it was a great medication for anxiety when i took it with one flaw: it made me insatiably hungry for the most unhealthy foods and i ultimately gained weight. not everyone experiences this side effect, even though it's common. you may plateau after five pounds, gain 50 pounds, or gain none at all.

if i were you, i'd try it out and see what happens. it'll be easy enough to discontinue if you only take it for a short while and you'll likely know pretty quickly if it affects your appetite.

hydroxyzine, while not as potent as mirtazapine, and not in the same class of medication, is also calming without weight gain as a noted side effect.

good luck!

I was on a low does (3.75) for years during and after my benzo taper. I tapered off in 2020. It did help but it's a sticky drug and hard to wean off. I think it was the reason I was on benzos in the first place, having to do with stopping 30 mg too abruptly.

Thanks guys

Basa, did you take it after benzos?

Unfortunately you can't get hydroxy zine over the counter in England!

Thanks guys

Basa, did you take it after benzos?

Unfortunately you can't get hydroxy zine over the counter in England!

i have taken mirtazapine while on clonazepam, not before and not after as i'm not off the drug yet. i can't get hydroxyzine over-the-counter either; it's prescribed.

I believe it has helped me with benzo w/d but ... it comes with side effects for many and it is hard to come off.

I can attest to the weight gain, which, for me, has come in the form of abdominal distension. Even if you don't change your eating habits, you can gain weight on this drug. It's crazy.

It is a potent antihistamine, and that's one of the reasons people struggle to get off it. They become histamine intolerant while on it.

If you really want to try it, my advice would be to take it at the lowest dose possible, like 3.75 (half of a 7.5), and see how that goes. They often try to throw you onto it starting at 15 or 30mg, which is then very hard to get off.

And, of course, YMMV!

Good luck :)

Openroad

Thanks! So you didn't notice any increase in anxiety or anything during the first two weeks of taking? Did you begin taking during or after the taper?

I will bear that in mind! I definitely want to be on as low a dose as will help me

Thanks! So you didn't notice any increase in anxiety or anything during the first two weeks of taking? Did you begin taking during or after the taper?

I will bear that in mind! I definitely want to be on as low a dose as will help me

i noticed an increase when changing ssris but pretty immediate relief when starting mirtazapine.

• 2 months later...

I know that there will be those who advise against all meds. With, genuinely, all due respect, I'd like if just those who have had positive experiences could comment here. I am taking citalopram, which is primarily anti-depressant and not anxiolytic.

I don't want to up my dose, I'd like to stay on my current low dose of citalopram as it is helping my depression (I have none currently) with no side effects.

I'd like to introduce mirtaz/remeron as it is more useful traditionally for anti-anxiety purposes. Again, also at a low dose, just to curb my anxiety a little.

Any advice?

Right here! It’s worked wonders for me for depression, anxiety and insomnia. An added but unexpected benefit is it has stopped my daily nausea and diarrhea. I 100% would recommend it.

Mirt is good imo. Sleep inducing but it WILL cause weight gain, but that can be a plus for benzo folks who have lost too much weight during the struggle. I found it easy to discontinue.

• 2 weeks later...
Remoron helped with my xanax with drawls during my taper the first night I took it 15mg I slept for the first time in weeks and my anxiety and panic attacks were gone. That lasted exactly one year.  I woke up in the middle of the night with a panic attack and extreme anxiety. Dr. suggested I increase dose to 30mg. I was one cut away from my jump off dose of the benzo and resisted the urge to put more drugs in my system. After 3 weeks of fighting, the insomnia wore me down and I caved in and went to 22.5mg. Same night sleep was restored, and anxiety is gone. I am going to hold my xanax dose for 5 more days than jump. As great as a day that will be it will be tempered by the fact that I now know what is waiting down the road remoron with drawl and another taper. Once you get on this train it is hard to get off.

Remoron helped with my xanax with drawls during my taper the first night I took it 15mg I slept for the first time in weeks and my anxiety and panic attacks were gone. That lasted exactly one year.  I woke up in the middle of the night with a panic attack and extreme anxiety. Dr. suggested I increase dose to 30mg. I was one cut away from my jump off dose of the benzo and resisted the urge to put more drugs in my system. After 3 weeks of fighting, the insomnia wore me down and I caved in and went to 22.5mg. Same night sleep was restored, and anxiety is gone. I am going to hold my xanax dose for 5 more days than jump. As great as a day that will be it will be tempered by the fact that I now know what is waiting down the road remoron with drawl and another taper. Once you get on this train it is hard to get off.

Getting off remeron is childs play compared to benzos.

I take 7.5 mg of Remeron and it's helped reduce anxiety, eliminate depression, and vastly improve GI issues through its anti-emetic action.