Author Topic: Free from 23 yrs on Xanax - You're never too old to quit!  (Read 355 times)

[Buddie]

Free from 23 yrs on Xanax - You're never too old to quit!
« on: April 27, 2022, 07:14:18 pm »
Hi Buddies.  Today is the first day in over 23 years that I am Xanax free!!  :laugh: I'm 70 years old and have a boatload of other health conditions.  If I can do this, trust me,  ANYONE can!.  It took me 30 months to taper.  I took two extended breaks but never up-dosed.    I did a simple dry cut method using a jewelry scale and razor blade.   Was it easy?  No, but it wasn't unbearable either.  Slow and steady wins the race.     

Some older folks wonder if it's even worth it and I say YES!! it is!  And so does Heather Ashton.  She said,

"Withdrawal in older people. Older people can withdraw from benzodiazepines as successfully as younger people, even if they have taken the drugs for years. A recent trial with an elderly population of 273 general practice patients on long-term (mean 15 years) benzodiazepines showed that voluntary dosage reduction and total withdrawal of benzodiazepines was accompanied by better sleep, improvement in psychological and physical health and fewer visits to doctors. These findings have been repeated in several other studies of elderly patients taking benzodiazepines long-term.

There are particularly compelling reasons why older people should withdraw from benzodiazepines since, as age advances, they become more prone to falls and fractures, confusion, memory loss and psychiatric problems (see Chapter 1).

Methods of benzodiazepine withdrawal in older people are similar to those recommended above for younger adults. A slow tapering regimen, in my experience, is easily tolerated, even by people in their 80s who have taken benzodiazepines for 20 or more years "  Chapter 2 - The Ashton Manual

MANY, MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE ON BB!   I COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU!   :smitten:
God bless you all!
I'll update how I'm doing in a few weeks. 

« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 07:22:59 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Free from 23 yrs on Xanax - You're never too old to quit!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 07:24:54 pm »
Congratulations!!! It's a great feeling isn't it? Wishing you the best on your recovery.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 09:27:19 pm »
Congratulations! Great job on your taper! Wishing you the best. 🥰

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 11:24:27 pm »
A massive congratulations to you Gitfiddle!!  Thank you for sharing your uplifting message.  Well done!    :smitten:

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 01:52:08 am »
Wow, great work and very inspirational! Congrats!!

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 02:29:01 am »
Congratulations!

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 05:58:27 pm »
Amazingness.  :thumbsup: