Acute Withdrawal question

[Wi...]

When does Acute withdrawal start? At the beginning or the last day of a harsh 3-4 week taper?

I feel like I am dying and hoping I have already started the acute w/d duration and that it’s not going to suddenly get worse (is it possible?) I have cut by 50%in three weeks (supposed to be at 25% Lorazepam). As I have felt the worst ever in my life and time is passing so slowly and not one good day.

We typically define acute withdrawal as the time of suffering just after jumping off your dose, for people who have done a slow taper, this can be the most challenging time.  For people like you and I, who have rapidly tapered or quit cold turkey, there isn't much difference between what you're dealing with now and acute, you're in it, the speed of your taper pretty much puts you at a cold turkey. 

I do want to offer some hope though, if you continue with the pace of your taper and manage to make it through the next few months, I don't see any reason why you can't fully recover.  In my time here I've not seen any correlation between slow, rapid or cold turkey contributing to protracted symptoms lasting longer than 2 years. 

Here is a post that members seem to relate to about the stages of recovery, but it doesn't really apply to people like us who quit rapidly. Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

I'm so sorry Wildflower1964, your symptom description brings back painful memories for me, what your doctor is doing to you is criminal, he has no idea the pain he's causing you.  I believe the taper plan he's laid out for you will do you more harm than good, taking those doses every few days on top of the rapid taper he's demanded will do nothing to stop your pain, it will only delay the inevitable and not provide any relief.

Do you have a history of seizures, they're rare but can happen so when you ask if it's safe, I can't answer that.  But if you're asking if you might as well quit cold turkey then that's certainly an option, your taper has pretty much been a cold turkey. 

My first three weeks were the worst but things began to improve, I was able to function.  If you're determined to do this especially if you don't have the support of your doctor and as long as you understand that recovery is going to take months if not years then you're fully informed and can make your decision. 

Do you have family around to keep an eye on you?

You're doing really well, and by that I mean the fact that you can type sentences that we can understand is amazing.  I wonder if you might also type out a message to your doctor so if you have to communicate with him, you can read what you wrote.  I know how difficult it is to think and speak at the same time and how difficult it is to form words. 

I'm sure you're worried about how your daughter is reacting to all of this but if you can tell her you're doing this so you can be more present in her life hopefully she'll understand.  And let her know you will recover, your brain just has to reclaim the functions the drug disrupted and this can't happen overnight. 

Yeah, we don't make this stuff up, its that bad.  :(

Its good to see you again and I'm glad you made the connection between coffee and your symptoms, I had to give it up for a time as well.  I hope you can stay away from taking rescue doses, I know its tough but you made a decision to stop taking the Lorazepam so its best to stay off of it if that's still your decision.  Of course, if things become unmanageable and you decide to reinstate and taper, then we'll support you.

I'm thankful you got some sleep, that helps so much and the fact that you're been reading the Ashton manual helps dispel the fear.  This post was written after I went through my cold turkey but its kind of a layman's perspective on what we go through.  What is happening in your brain

• 1 month later...
I cannot figure out where I am because I always feel horrible and have for three years prior to ct of .5 Klonopin after 25 years.  Stepped off Remeron three years ago after taper and fell of the surface of the earth.  Klonopin tolerance made everything worse, so dr. Said it needed to go—not this way!  Stopped 6 weeks ago.  Insomnia, huge anxiety, headache, brain fog worse symptoms.  Is this acute or post acute?  Thanks!

I cannot figure out where I am because I always feel horrible and have for three years prior to ct of .5 Klonopin after 25 years.  Stepped off Remeron three years ago after taper and fell of the surface of the earth.  Klonopin tolerance made everything worse, so dr. Said it needed to go—not this way!  Stopped 6 weeks ago.  Insomnia, huge anxiety, headache, brain fog worse symptoms.  Is this acute or post acute?  Thanks!

Its tough to put a label on what you're feeling, we've loosely defined these terms because we have no way of knowing how long recovery is for each person because we each of our experiences vary so much.  Whatever stage of recovery you're in, it sounds very painful and that we all pretty much share.