Propanolol anyone? Does it cross the BBB?

[ho...]

Update: my cardiologist suggested propanolol who I met with today. Any positives on that one? I have read it crosses the blood brain barrier where atenolol does not so I have a message out to her. Anyone educated on this?

Anyone have POSITIVE stories of Atenolol? This setback is causing lots of heart racing, flutters, adrenaline, tightness in chest, massive anxiety.  In 3.5 years I haven't touched any med in any way. But this is really getting the best of me and my primary care and functional med dr who is also has a pharmacy background, think maybe a low dose could actually benefit me and they all know how sensitive I am. I have an appt with a cardiologist in a few days for a 3rd opinion. Of course I am terrified to try anything, but I was wondering if anyone has had success at a low dose. Thanks!

I took propranolol during my taper and now I take metoprolol, both of which are beta blockers similar to atenolol, and I've done fine with both of them.  I do understand your trepidation - I had it also.  Both meds have helped me immensely with anxiety-related symptoms.  My dose of metoprolol is small (12.5mg) and I had to start lower than that to build up my courage to take it but it seems to agree with me.  All the best to you hopeful0518.

Thank you! Can I ask you if you just take it once a day? Ive seen in my research some take it once a day, twice or as needed. I was thinking if I took the plunge after I probably will stare at it for years once I get it from fear  :laugh: that maybe once in the morning will help with that horrible morning adrenaline and once in the evening due to the horrific daily overstimulation that prevents decent sleep or is one dose enough for the day? I’m totally new to beta blockers. When I’m not over the top my bo rubs around 100/68 but pulse can be 80-100 plus so I don’t want to take so much that I get a BP drop but just enough to help the other things if that makes sense.

I take metoprolol once a day, in the morning, and I take it every day.  I think it helped me get over the hump of benzo withdrawl, including the insomnia.  It took about a month for it to get fully on board and in my system.  Like I said, I am on a low dose but I started even lower and built my way up to where I am now.  It has been about six months that I have been on it but so far, so good.

I take metoprolol once a day, in the morning, and I take it every day.  I think it helped me get over the hump of benzo withdrawl, including the insomnia.  It took about a month for it to get fully on board and in my system.  Like I said, I am on a low dose but I started even lower and built my way up to where I am now.  It has been about six months that I have been on it but so far, so good.

I am soooo sensitive to supplements and even foods to rev me up esp being in this setback even smells set me off yet again, so I’m so scared. I would definitely start with a tiny dose.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

if I take any vitamin I get anxiety and light headed to the point where I can't even walk, I was having very bad PVCS and my doctor prescribed me Bisoprolol 5mg pill, I took a quarter of a pill and it worked very well for my PVCS and I didn't have any odd reactions, now my PVC's are very rare but sometimes they are consistent so I still take the quarter of a pill maybe once every month or so and it still works very well, it worked for me and does its job and will help with excess adrenaline.

best wishes

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

if I take any vitamin I get anxiety and light headed to the point where I can't even walk, I was having very bad PVCS and my doctor prescribed me Bisoprolol 5mg pill, I took a quarter of a pill and it worked very well for my PVCS and I didn't have any odd reactions, now my PVC's are very rare but sometimes they are consistent so I still take the quarter of a pill maybe once every month or so and it still works very well, it worked for me and does its job and will help with excess adrenaline.

best wishes

The dr ended prescribing me atenolol, but I am so sensitive that I am terrified to try it and then have my body to get use to that if it did work and cause another withdrawal issue down the road, but so many make it seem like it is ok. I just don’t know what to do since it can help the fight or flight and anxiety.

Was just gonna throw this out there for you if you haven't already tried the med yet.  But I used propranolol during my acute period. It did not help me......but it did not hurt me. And I was ULTRA sensitive at the time. The most they really do is lower your heart rate and sometimes your BP. I just had to be careful if my BP was too low then I couldn't take it. But overall it was not a drug that harmed me in anyway.   

My understanding is that propanolol can be taken PRN or daily, whereas atenolol is meant to be taken only daily. I have used both when in crisis periods, and have found relief with very low doses. I prefer to take it PRN b/c I don't need it daily right now, so I occasionally take 1/2 of a 20mg propanolol. It does help with tachycardia. It can keep you up at night (it has had that effect for me but I'm super sensitive) so I only take it in the AM. All in all, I have mainly heard folks having just fine experiences on it and it seems to be one of the few drugs that helps folks in w/d without much problem. I would try it and see how it goes.

If you do take it ongoing for a while, it does require a taper off, but I've not heard that it's a big deal.

Hope that's helpful, and that you get some peace!

Thank you everyone. I haven’t tried the atenolol yet as fear about it has taken over hugely, but this chest pains with horrible anxiety is terrifying. I’ve had all of the heart tests and all is fine so it would be more for anxiety. Wish I knew what to do. Also my BP runs along from lines of 95/65 and my pulse is what is in the 80s-90s, resting 70s so this would be used strongly for the horrible anxiety and chest pains yet I don’t want to get light headed. If I risk it I’ll take 1/4 of the 25 if atenolol. Thanks for all of your experiences and advice!