Early Onset Cataracts

[Th...]

Hi all,

I just turned 40 last year and after a year or so battling withdrawal I found myself all but blind in my right eye. Got cataract surgery and then lost vision in the left eye so had to go back under the knife. Thankfully they didn't go at the same time.

My doctor and surgeon said I'm pretty young for cataracts. I see there are a lot of mentions of them on this board and I'm wondering if there's a link. Anecdotal evidence is welcomed and if there are any scientific studies on the matter I'd be greatly interested in that as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I went from "your lenses are very clear, no hint of cataracts" at 50 when I tapered and quit my benzo and z-drugs, to noticeably and rapidly deteriorating vision in the first and second years post jumping.

This was ultimately diagnosed as rapidly progressing cataracts and I finally had a clear lens replacement in both eyes a bit over two years ago in my 4th year post quitting.

At the end before my cataract surgery, I was just about effectively blind. I couldn't even see the TV across the room well enough to follow anything.

With the cataract surgery I can now see perfectly fine. But for a number of years I was miserable as my vision progressively faded away.

I've seen at least one or two other members with similar stories.

This is not proof that benzo/z-drug withdrawal caused the cataracts, but it does make you wonder.

I had early cataracts as well. In  my 50's. My eye doc was surprised. I went from no problem on one visit to "oh you have cataracts" 2 years later. I had the usual s/x -- seeing haloes around lights, poor night vision, faded colors. I didn't dream it was cataracts. The procedure was painless and completely restored my vision, but . . . why in the hell did I get cataracts at such an early age? Oh yeah, benzos. Another gift from the drug that keeps on giving.

:tickedoff:

Katz