Xanax tapering advice for a newb

[Un...]

Hi all,

I’m looking for support and advice while I go on this journey. I’m working with 0.5mg tabs of alprazolam (Xanax). I don’t have a scale, so have just been halving and then quartering the tabs. I’m currently taking 0.25mg in the am. 10 days ago I decreased my pm dose to 0.125 and I’m suffering. I don’t know if I should try and push through, or if I cut too much.

I’m hoping I can get my doctor to prescribe me the lowest dose of 0.25mg to make splitting easier, but there is no guarantee she will ( I was prescribed by my psychiatrist who has since retired and still using the bottles from 2019, as I self tapered). I need to be prepared that she may not be willing to help me.

So, my question is, has anyone successfully tapered from halving and quartering tabs? Do you recommend I get a scale and cut much more slowly? Any scale recs? Amazon reviews vary widely about the accuracy of weighing anything under 1mg.

Any advice from people who have been there would be great. I read the Ashton manual, but it’s based on substituting Valium, so I’m a little confused. It doesn’t help that the withdrawal symptoms don’t have me at my best, mentally.

I realize you aren’t allowed to give medical advice or anything. I need to make my own choices. I just really need some support and guidance. Thanks.

Welcome untetheredforever.  Congratulations on your decision to quit Xanax.  I’m nearing the end of my taper.  I’ve been on Xanax daily for 23 years.  I did a simple dry cut using the scale and a one sided razor blade to cut.  I didn’t want to cross over to Valium either.  And I didn’t want to fool around with making capsules or liquid.  Most people do just fine with this simpler approach.

I started in 2019 but took a couple of very long breaks but never up-dosed. 

I have .25 mg tablets which does help.  If you tell your doctor your plan maybe she’ll be willing to help you out. Fingers crossed.

It sounds like you did a 25% reduction?  That’s kind of a lot.  Typically I try to keep the cuts around 10% every 2 weeks. Some go even less- 5% or less.  It’s been a challenge but it hasn’t been unbearable.  Just go slow and try to get used to the idea that you’ll be uncomfortable  but it’s nothing to be scared of. 

Here’s the scale I use.  It’s true that when the pieces get tiny it bounces around, but that hasn’t been a problem for me.

Limited-time deal: Fuzion Digital Milligram Scale 50g/ 0.001g, Portable Jewelry Scale with LCD Backlit, Tare, Powder Scale, Micro Scale for Powder Medicine, Gold, Gem, Reloading, Batteries Included https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TBJBFRK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dl_XTDCNEAARB2DHGG67SK4

Best wishes! 

Thanks, Gitfiddle!

I have another question for everyone. My game plan has been to taper my pm dose down to zero first, since I haven’t been on it as long. Then, once I’m completely off that, taper my am dose even more slowly. Is this wise? Also, I’m pretty sure I’m in tolerance withdrawal with my am dose, if that plays a factor.

Most who taper will whittle away at each of their doses to avoid inter-dose withdrawal, this is especially critical for those who use Xanax because the half life is so short.  I would suggest taking turns reducing your doses, and just so you're aware, most Xanax users will dose up to four times a day.  Its a tough one to taper from but it's definitely possible.

Yes we to what Pamster said.  I would whittle them both back and forth.  When I got down to .125 twice daily I tapered the daytime dose to 0 and was left with the .125 night dose.  That  worked well for me but I also could have gone down to .0625 on each dose before eliminating one.

I also want to clarify what I said earlier about getting used to being uncomfortable.  That should only be to the degree that it’s tolerable.  If you need to take extra time between cuts by all means do.  I held for over a year when I was going through a stressful time and was dealing with other health issues.

Thanks. I bought a scale and it’s arriving today. I have an appt with my GP tomorrow to see if she will prescribe me 0.25mg tabs to make things easier. If she won’t, I’m going to have to increase my taper.

I’m hearing different things regarding approaching the Dr. Some say to be honest, while others say to not mention tapering schedules, withdrawals, etc.