Author Topic: Tapering Ativan  (Read 900 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Tapering Ativan
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 09:11:35 pm »
I can hear your pain and frustration, I honestly don't know what to tell you, if you don't have a medical team willing to let you, the patient lead your taper I can only suggest you find another team.  Adding more drugs to the equation isn't typically the answer, tapering slowly so your body can recover as you taper has proved to be the best method, unfortunately, your team hasn't gotten this message.

I've read here that some nurse practioners can be more sympathetic to our plight, have you considered looking for a new provider?

How are you doing on the 1 mg a day, do you feel like you've been able to stabilize a bit?  I'm sorry you're feeling depressed, Professor Ashton had this to say about Buspar.

Other drugs. Several other drugs have been tested in clinical trials of benzodiazepine withdrawal to see if they could speed the process, prevent or alleviate withdrawal symptoms, or improve the long-term success rate. Many of these trials have involved what is considered here as over-rapid withdrawal. For example, a recent US study of benzodiazepine withdrawal in long-term users (Rickels, Schweizer et al. Psychopharmacology 141,1-5,1999) tested the effects of a sedative antidepressant (trazodone, Desyrel) and an anticonvulsant drug (sodium valproate, Depakote). Neither drug had any effect on the severity of withdrawal symptoms, but the rate of taper was 25% of the benzodiazepine dose each week - a rather fast withdrawal! Other drugs which have been found to be of little or no value in withdrawal trials over 4-6 weeks include buspirone (BuSpar, an anti-anxiety drug), carbamazepine (Tegretol, an anticonvulsant), clonidine (Catapres, an anti-anxiety drug sometimes used in alcohol detoxification), nifedipine (Adalat) and alpidem.[/b]

The Ashton Manual    
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 10:56:19 pm »
Actually I've been doing pretty good on the 1 mg.  Several times I've gone over the six hours between doses, sometimes 8 hours.  I almost have to believe the Buspar is helping with my anxiety or it's just not as bad anymore.  I had read that it wouldn't help with withdrawal symptoms also.

Would you recommend that I just keep tapering down myself on the Ativan?  I seem pretty stable right now and am ready to make a reduction.  I wanted to have shown some effort by my next appointment to show her that I can just maybe do this without other drugs.  I'm just using the dry taper method and just pinching or breaking a bit off a corner of the tablet.  This is after I cut two .5 mgs in half for my 24 hour dose.  I pinch either one corner or sometimes two and keep the left over powder in another pill bottle just in case I might need it later :)  I know this isn't exactly accurate.  Does it need to be?  Should I get a scale?  I succeeded in tapering from almost 3 mg to 1 mg just by breaking off corners.  Seems to be harder to do now that I'm down this low. 

Sorry, I've rambled enough but this is making me nuts.  I really hate to change doctors.  Not sure any of them listen to you anymore.  They really don't when you hit 67.  Ole folks are invisible.  I would like to show them all that I did this by myself with the help of benzo buddies.   
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 11:15:59 pm »
Thanks for explaining your taper method and whatever works for you is perfect.  You don't need to use scales if you're doing fine without, sometimes its a difference in personalities, some people need to be more precise, it gives them the feeling they have some control over this, others do just fine with methods like yours, and really, as long as you're getting your required dose in a 24 hour period, it all evens out.

I would suggest not pushing the time limits though, your brain craves consistency and keeping steady blood serum levels of the drug in your body will help it get this.  Gradual and consistent reductions of the drug are best.  I think anytime you feel ready to make another reduction, this is what you should do, you know better than anyone how you're feeling.

I think your plan is perfect, if you show progress then that should be enough to reassure your doctor you don't need additional medications, you just need a steady supply of the one you're attempting to rid yourself of. 

I wouldn't mention BenzoBuddies, many doctors aren't thrilled with internet support groups but some have actually recommended us.  ;)

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022, 12:56:00 am »
Thank you so much for your advice and help.  I truly appreciate it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2022, 04:40:27 am »
I am also 67 years old and tapering off of Ativan after five years on it.  I was taking 2 mgs a day and I just recently made my 2nd cut.  I am now down to 1.25 mg per day.  I have not discussed this with my Doctor.  I see her at the end of the month.  The last two times I went to see her she suggested it was time to get off of it.  I told her I am not ready.   I am cutting every five weeks.  I am experiencing withdraw symptoms and they seem to last for three weeks and they go away.  I wish you much success.   

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2022, 01:32:38 am »
Wow, sounds like you are making progress.  How much are you cutting each time?  What type of withdrawal symptoms do you have?  I think that's my biggest fear after ending up in the hospital already with withdrawal symptoms.  That's why I'm going to take it very slow this time tapering.  Talked with my doctor yesterday.  He's on board with a slow taper so hopefully everything will work out.  Best of luck to you also.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2022, 12:14:02 pm »
How are you doing [...]?

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2022, 11:46:34 pm »
Hi, actually I had an appointment with my psychiatrist today.  She's on board with a slow taper and not pushing an SSRI unless I find out I might need one.  She was glad I had gone back down to the 1 mg a day from the 1.5.  I had been pinching corners off but kind of stopped doing that.  My bad.  So she's leaving this month up to me to try to taper down some by myself.  She wants me to try and stretch the time between doses and get down to 3 times a day instead of 4.  Not sure if I can do that.  Sometimes it's hard to wait the six hours between.  Thank goodness I haven't been too anxious.  Withdrawal or tolerance symptoms haven't been too horrible.  I mostly get this weird feeling like I have to keep taking a deep breath when it's time for another dose.  Of course I've still been taking the .25 every six hours so I probably haven't experienced many withdrawal symptoms yet.  She says next month is her turn to be in charge.  So I have to make myself seriously start pinching corners, a corner, or trying to go longer between doses.  At least it sounds like she's willing to work with me. I'm still scared to death to do it but really. really want off of this stuff at the same time.  Thanks for checking in! 

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2022, 11:48:26 pm »
Do you have to wake up to take one of your doses?

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2022, 12:53:07 pm »
Yeah usually.  I don't have a set schedule.  So I just take it no sooner than 6 hours apart.  If I go longer between my schedule is always different.  Last night I went 7-1/2 hours between doses but was still up at 3:00 am taking the next one.  Of course when I wake up at night that's the first thing that pops into my head.  Do I need to take it?  Sometimes I can go back to sleep.  Most times not.  So I end up taking it.