Foot surgery coming up

[Wo...]

I’ve been benzo free for 9 months and I have a foot surgery coming up. I’m a little nervous about the anesthesia. I discussed everything with my surgeon and was completely transparent and honest with him about my taking a benzo after being given it for a muscle relaxer and the hell it was to figure out what was wrong and to taper off of it. He was appalled and felt horrible that this was done to me.  He assured me we would use not one thing benzo related, no steroids, no epinephrine. We decided together propofol would be the choice for anesthesia and oxycodone for the pain medication. I had foot surgery years back and I know I cannot go without the oxycodone as it is painful  and I won’t be able to go without it. I only take it for a few days to get over the worst and then I stop it as I don’t like how it makes me feel. But he also gave me a prescription for gabapentine and I said I won’t take it. He said it would help with the nerve pain in the foot but I said it works on the gaba receptors and probably will not take it. He said hang on to it in case but ultimately left it up to me. I won’t take it. I would rather deal with the nerve pain from them healing than take that and screw up my progress thus far. Does the propofol sound like the best choice? And not taking the gabapentine a good choice as well? I have all benzos, steroids, all z drugs, all fluoroguinolone antibiotics, epinephrine (unless emergency) listed as allergies as well as  tramadol, trazodone, and flagyl as they actually are. Any input would be helpful. Thank you! And additionally I am feeling pretty good at this point of my recovery. Still some minor waves and withdrawl feelings but nothing compared to the hell of he taper. I just don’t want to go backwards and feel bad again.

Hello WonderWoman1111,

It sounds like you are in a good place now to go ahead with foot surgery. You have done exactly what I did and listed medications you can not or will not take on your chart and discussed the situation with your doctor.

I had many surgeries at various times during my benzo experience due to a very bad rotator cuff and a subsequent failed surgery requiring additional procedures.

I had propofol for all my surgeries, I tolerate it well and have no side effects from it. I also don't like oxycodone, but in times of post op pain, it was necessary to take it short term.

I was given a prescription for gabapentin to use after my last surgery. I've been healed for a good long time, but I know too much about this drug to feel comfortable taking it. However, my surgery dealt with nerves so I did try it just once. Unfortunately I had a very bad reaction and vomited the entire next day. 

I think you will do just fine, your attitude is good and your progress in terms of recovery is moving forward. No surgery is a walk in the park so it's expected to take a while to recover.  I wish you all the best and feel free to ask me any other questions.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Hello WonderWoman1111,

It sounds like you are in a good place now to go ahead with foot surgery. You have done exactly what I did and listed medications you can not or will not take on your chart and discussed the situation with your doctor.

I had many surgeries at various times during my benzo experience due to a very bad rotator cuff and a subsequent failed surgery requiring additional procedures.

I had propofol for all my surgeries, I tolerate it well and have no side effects from it. I also don't like oxycodone, but in times of post op pain, it was necessary to take it short term.

I was given a prescription for gabapentin to use after my last surgery. I've been healed for a good long time, but I know too much about this drug to feel comfortable taking it. However, my surgery dealt with nerves so I did try it just once. Unfortunately I had a very bad reaction and vomited the entire next day. 

I think you will do just fine, your attitude is good and your progress in terms of recovery is moving forward. No surgery is a walk in the park so it's expected to take a while to recover.  I wish you all the best and feel free to ask me any other questions.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Oh thank you so much! I feel good and I’ll be ready for surgery. I won’t take the gabapentine. I’m not risking it. I can deal with the pain of the nerves. Hell, for all my taper I had terrible parathesia and burning nerves so I should be able to handle it. I appreciate you answering me and your support. I’ll,let you know how it goes!  ;)

I had foot surgery last winter and the anaesthesiologist planned on giving me Versed. I just said no. It went fine.

Thank you! Glad to hear yours went well. I’m sure everything will be fine for mine, but so,times my mind still questions everything!  ;)