Taper advice from lorazepam needed…time for my 2nd cut

[Ir...]

Hi- It's time for my second decrease in medication. I've been taking lorazepam for two years, 1mg twice a day. Started my taper in March.. settled in taking .5 three times a day, so it's been about a month since my first cut. jelly baby suggested between 5 to 10% for this next step down, feel much more comfortable about those amounts for the decrease this time. She actually did some math for me already. (thank you)

Have what I think are some withdrawal symptoms (difficulty sleeping, occasional tightness in my chest, anxious, head pressure, crazy sweating all over) but it's all little better most days & manageable. Thank goodness.

I'm dry cutting, been using a pill cutter.. but I ordered a jewelry scale & have no idea how to use it so I've got to figure that out too and how to make my dosage dividing it into three times a day if y'all think that's a good idea. ??

Asking for taper suggestions, advice, support.. ready to soak up any help you can share.

I believe you'll be able to cut your pills for quite some time so no need to worry about using a scale just yet, and it sounds like your symptoms are manageable so far.  Did jelly baby let you know it's a good idea to write down your reductions and symptom severity so you can use this as a guide to determine your next reduction?

If you're dosing three times a day and it's working for you then I think you should stick to it. When you cut you just remove the desired amount from one of your three doses.

Usually people rotate their cuts between their doses to keep the numbers somewhat even but there's no rule. Sometimes they keep the evening dose a bit higher if they need sleep. You just do what works best for.

Thanks, Pamster & jelly baby - appreciate the suggestions!

OK so I can just cut the % from one dose.. that makes this seem so much easier & to be honest I'm not up for messing with this scale right now, so that's even better news!

Yes you can cut the % from one of your doses. It is important to note however that to calculate your percentage you have to use the combined daily dose.

Good morning-

I'm sure there is some simple, easy answer to my question but I can't seem to figure it out… so I need some help… how do I measure/cut 0.112 from my dose??

My plan is to take the % off my .5 afternoon dose. I think I won't notice it as much vs the am dose or the pm dose. (which are also .5)

Thanks for any suggestions!

IrisHope

I'm terrible at math so I'll call in someone to verify what I'm suggesting but if you cut one of your .5 tablets into quarters and take one quarter less at your afternoon dose it would be an 8.3% decrease which is a little higher than jelly baby suggested but still possible if you want to keep this easy for as long as you can.  But like I mentioned, don't take my word for it until we can get backup!  :D

Pamster asked me to stop by.

I think you have at least three options.

Option 1

Pamster's option is really by far the easiest.  Cut one of your 0.5 tablets into quarters and reduce 1/4 each reduction.  Hold for at least 2 weeks or until your symptoms are tolerable, whichever is longer.  However, you already have chest pains and insomnia so I am not sure you want to do this because, as she pointed out, it is a large reduction all at once.

Option 2

Learn to use the scale.  I will teach you but it is time consuming and difficult and so I only like to commit to such work after you have considered the simple liquid taper below.

Option 3

Watch this link 

The neat thing is, you could drink 1/2 of the mixture 30 minutes before bed and then take a little each time you wake up during the night.  I know that approach would have helped me with my insomnia.  If you still have some left over in the morning, just drink it whenever.

Hi Bob7, really appreciate your input too!!

I’ll watch the link for option 3, might be a good option for my sleep issues. At least my withdrawal systems are manageable right now. I sleep a few hours a night & then seem to catch up with a few added hours every couple of days. And to be honest I’ve never been a good sleeper. :/

Option 2 with the scale seems pretty intimidating to me… got it for when I feel like I HAVE to learn to use it. ;)  So I will definitely take you up on your offer to teach me at some point. Thank you!

First option- I’m thinking about do that, just cause it seems easiest… hopefully it wouldn’t be a mistake for the bigger % cut. The tightness in my chest isn’t happening every day & I’ve been noticing it happens when I get too hot in the afternoon while I’m watering plants. Sounds crazy I know. So today I watered this morning… will see if I have that uncomfortable feeling anytime today, going to try & stay cool too & if that makes a difference. ??

Again, I feel so fortunate to have found this group with so many people willing to help each other… thank you all so very much for your time & your support!

I will share with you what my doctor told me about chest pains/tightness and benzo withdrawal.

He said:

(1) Benzo withdrawal creates added anxiety

(2) Too much anxiety makes your muscles tense all the time

(3) When the muscles are tense all the time, they get tired.

(4) Tired muscles trigger pain

When I was real bad with chest pains, the doctor gave me a non-benzo anti-anxiety med called Buspar and I was able to take it for several weeks and continue my taper.  I had zero trouble getting off buspar.

Great information about anxiety, Bob7 - thanks for sharing!

And I will look into Buspar… of course I’m little gun-shy about any medication right now. lol

hugs to you for the help!

Hi Iris

I just want to add, if you keep cutting quarters, each time you cut you'll increase the percentage you're cutting. I'm not saying don't do it, I just want to make you aware of the fact. Eventually you'll have to find a way to fine tune your cuts to smaller cuts.

This all feels overwhelming in the beginning but once you've figured out a way to reduce your dose that works for you, it really becomes much easier.

Hey jelly baby! Ok- I think understand, maybe sorta..  :-\  & it is overwhelming. I’m scared to do something that makes it all worse. I’ve taken the quarter cuts this afternoon, hopefully I will be okay taking those for the next few days. I’ll check back in.

Thanks y’all for helping me with these baby steps.

These are just my opinions.

Removing 1/4 of a pill is a large amount.  You should hold at that dose for at least 2 weeks or until your symptoms are tolerable again.  It can take a week for symptoms to kick in.  Also, past reductions can accumulate and hit you all at once.

Morning Bob7,

I appreciate your opinion, truly. Tomorrow may be my day to start working with the scale  & figuring out how to use. I feel like it’s my best chance to be accurate/control the %…I am concerned about more severe withdrawal symptoms. And I’ll hold for at least the 2 weeks. My first decrease/cut (the amount advised by my doctor) was already a significant amount I feel like. Grateful that it’s all been manageable so far & that I found y’all for support & safer taper advice! Wished I had researched for help before that first cut, but it’s done & I know to go slower now.

Wondering if I should add a little piece from the 1/4 pie slice back in for a few days??

*sigh* I don’t want to make a mistake that I can’t undo… but I want to be moving forward too. The same dilemma everyone faces!

Two things I have observed in my years of reading posts.

(1) Many times I have seen, when a person first starts a taper, they can handle an initial large reduction and it fools them into thinking they can continue with large reductions.  But then they get into trouble.  The best thing is to keep a journal of your reduction, you symptoms, and any external stress in your life.  You can then look back and make solid decisions on speeding up or slowing down your taper.

(2) People who go back up in dose generally regret it.  You do not want to pay for the same real estate twice. 

Bob has a knack for telling us what we need to know doesn't he and I know he'll be right here to help you figure out the scale.  :smitten:

When do you typically feel the first symptoms of a reduction, with Lorazepam it should be fairly soon so if you're feeling okay today and tomorrow you may be okay at your new reduced dose.

The journal is great suggestion. & I am facing additional stress (as we all probably are) with other health stuff. Will hopefully find out next week after a Doppler ultrasound about my blood clots issue… so I’m definitely not wanting to be more stressed out with withdrawal symptoms, it would be difficult to deal with that on top of a bunch of testing next week.

The cut in March I felt the most symptoms that first week, since then I’ve been experiencing occasional tightness in my chest (didn’t yesterday) head pressure basically every day (like sinus pressure all over my head, but doable) & sleep issues (also doable) & of course I’m anxious (mostly doable). All symptoms did stabilize/manageable after a couple of weeks.

I want to be careful enough that I don’t feel the need/or have to, go back up.

Y’alls time & wise words are appreciated!  :smitten:

Oh dear, stress isn't good for us so I hope this cut will go easy on you and I'd definitely wait until things settle down before making anymore reductions.  It sounds like you've already been able to detect a pattern in your symptom flow, I'm glad you're going to keep a journal to help you make future decisions.

Iris

I don't think you should stress too much about this cut. It's still within the recommended range and as long as you give it enough time to settle down, things will be okay.  :smitten:

Good morning, jelly baby  :smitten:

I’m feeling good so far (3rd day) at this cut… just this head pressure that I’ve already been having ever day, so it might be the new normal for me during this. Very fortunate though. And hopefully this cut will be uneventful… hopefully they all are, considering what this stuff does to our body. I do think I’m going to hang out at this amount for several weeks or a little longer.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

Have a wonderful day.

Very happy to hear your symptoms are staying manageable for now, it seems like we're constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop around here.  I felt that way too and I quit cold turkey, we just never know what to expect from minute to minute.

Thanks, Pamster!

Exactly… almost afraid to jinx myself. *fingerscrossed*

And I can’t even imagine quitting ct like you.. wow, just the thought makes my heart beat faster. Glad you’re ok & here to help the rest of us.  :)