Author Topic: "dependence" is now a Substance Use Disorder?  (Read 921 times)

[Buddie]

Re: "dependence" is now a Substance Use Disorder?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2022, 07:32:40 pm »
This is why "physical dependence" is better than dependence.

I also thought so at first, but not if they use "physical dependence" and "psychological dependence" to mean just the two sub-categories of "substance dependence".

Like the APA, The International Classification of Diseases also classifies "substance dependence" as a "mental and behavioural disorder."

So this begs the obvious question of whether still using these "redefined" terms is akin to signing up to be diagnosed with a mental disease.

If they insist that having withdrawal symptoms from prescribed medications taken as directed is not a substance use disorder, but that having physical dependence is part of a substance use disorder, then it would seem to be wrong to use that term of dependence when talking about prescribed medications taken as directed.

I actually agree that having extremely severe withdrawal symptoms from prescribed medications is not a disorder (not a problem with the patient). But is it not a type of a drug injury (a problem with the drug)?

The DSM stuff is talked about a bit in this blog:

https://www.madinamerica.com/2015/11/language-surrounding-benzodiazepines/

I think it's neurological damage.

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing that link.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.