milk taper with lorazepam/Ativan

[gr...]

I have tried everything at this point and nothing seems to work. I tired cut and hold got horrible withdrawal symptoms that lasted  well over a month. Tried water taper with just water, was not accurate enough. Particles fell to bottom to rapidly. Then tried dissolving  lorazepam in vodka. It worked well and I was feeling okay but then I had a really bad reaction to the alcohol. Stopped the alcohol and tried  propylene glycol, was worse than the vodka, felt awful, really bad headache and shaking a lot. Now I am thinking about trying the milk. I have read in a couple of posts that the milk does not work well with the Ativan? Is this true? Has anyone done a milk taper with Ativan?  Please help!!! I am at my wits end... Nothing seems to work for me. My Dr. has me freaked out because she told me she is going to put me in  the hospital if I don't gain weight. It is impossible to gain weight  when you are suffering from extreme restlessness. I have been stuffing my face trying to gain weight but it is just making me feel worse!!  This is insane. I'm not worried about the weight loss it will come back once I'm off this crap.  If anyone has used the milk taper with Ativan, please let me know if it worked.....

Thank you!!! :(

Hello, gray cloud.  I’m sorry you are struggling.  You might get more responses if you changed the subject heading to reflect your question (e.g. ‘Milk Taper with Lorazepam/Ativan?’) and cross-post to the ‘Tapering off Ativan Support Thread’.  You also might try using the search methods described in the thread linked below to find past posts on this subject.

Re: posts you’ve read here indicating that milk does not work well with Ativan …

Please bear in mind that member-generated content is, for the most part, not fact-checked.  Anyone can post just about anything as long as it adheres to the general forum guidelines. I personally view the milk/Ativan claim with skepticism.  My understanding is that all benzodiazepines are lipophilic to varying degrees.  For example, I recall reading that lorazepam is more lipophilic than clonazepam and we have multiple members who have used milk successfully to taper clonazepam.

Given your repeated issues with homebrew liquids …

Some members are able to use homebrew liquids whereas others are not.

Have you considered the FDA-approved oral solution of lorazepam?  Or a professionally compounded oral solution or suspension?

Or, have you considered using one of the dry titration methods (e.g. shaving/weighing or powder/weighing)?

Another option to consider is compounded ‘mini-tabs.’  For example, a compounding pharmacy in The Netherlands has developed a technology for making lorazepam tablets with doses as low as 0.05mg.  These could easily be used to make ‘small enough’ and ‘gradual enough’ reductions in dose to keep withdrawal symptoms tolerable.  See link below for more information.

Links:

Search Benzo Buddies Using Google, Bing, or DuckDuckGo

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=251991.msg3203142#msg3203142

Tapering Strips

https://www.taperingstrip.com

Thank you Libetas! I will ask about the milk on the Ativan board. I wanted to do the liquid micro taper because it seems the simplest and many people have stated they have done well on it. ... Thanks again Libertas!

You are correct Libertas....I  looked into the Lorazepam and it is highly Lipophilic, so it should work very well with the milk!

Thank you for all of your knowledge!! I am definitely going to try the milk... :)

Tip of the hat for doing your own research, gray cloud!  I hope this works for you. (As you’ve probably already read, it’s important to use full fat, homogenized milk.)

Excellent. fwiw … tablets from different manufacturers have different disintegration properties depending on the excipients and manufacturing processes used.  If your tablet seems to be taking a long time to disintegrate in the milk, I’ve read that splitting the tablet in two to expose more surface area and/or adding a little water to the tablet and allowing the tablet/water combo sit for a bit before adding the milk helps. Needless to say, you would want to add the volume of water used to the volume of milk used to obtain the total volume of liquid.

• 4 weeks later...