Pulsating Head

[Yo...]

Soo the pulsating started in one ear about two weeks ago..

Now it’s like my whole head is pulsating in time with my heart beat. It is only happening when I lay down/try to sleep. It’s driving me nuts! I was up majority of last night.

It also doesn’t help that I had a whiplash injury about a month ago so it’s hard to tell what it’s from.

It did come at the same try I started cutting from 0.125mg. I’ve held for a few days this week and it isn’t improving.

What is going on??!

I'm so sorry. That sounds very unpleasant. I have experienced a similar sensation and sound above my right ear on certain nights when lying down for bed. It's like I'm having a muscle spasm in my head, and with earplugs in, it sounds like someone is outside slamming car doors. My right ear also gets warm multiple times throughout the day. Do you also tend to get certain symptoms on only one side of your body?

I'm so sorry. That sounds very unpleasant. I have experienced a similar sensation and sound above my right ear on certain nights when lying down for bed. It's like I'm having a muscle spasm in my head, and with earplugs in, it sounds like someone is outside slamming car doors. My right ear also gets warm multiple times throughout the day. Do you also tend to get certain symptoms on only one side of your body?

Mine definitely started just on the left side but now it is an overall sensation - it is like my brain is pulsating in time with my heartbeat.

I've seen my doctor and had a CT scan yesterday - no issues.  They are going to see how it goes and will organise an MRI if it continues.  I've recently had a fall where I hit my head so just wanted to rule out anything from that.

The doctor seems to think mine is a muscle spasms that is affecting the nerve.  He suggested I rub voltaren into my scalp and see if that helps it.

Pulsatile tinnitus.  :(

It's generally related to vascular conditions, which of course benzo withdrawal temporarily creates. My mom got it from tapering off of beta blockers, and eventually it went away. Mine showed up when I was around 0.125 of Klonopin. Fortunately I don't hear it much during the day, but I definitely hear it and feel it when I lie down at night.

Mine is worse when I am stressed, or dealing with seasonal allergies.

It's temporary! I doubt it's one of the more common benzo symptoms, but for those of us it does affect, it seems to come and go.

I hope yours starts to ease up.

That's definitely what it sounds like, Spin. Mine seems to be more of a spasm as it's not in time with my pulse and feels like a spasm or twitch. I can't help but be afraid of new symptoms as I get lower. I pray they don't show up, but there's just no telling with these stupid benzos. I hope yours goes away as you get further and further down the road.

Oh, hereforhelp, I've had the spasms too! I used to get weird occasional tremors in my temples, and then I had little fluttering spasms inside my ear. I tried to describe it to my husband, and I was like, "It feels like there's a tiny bird inside my ear." Such a bizarre sensation.

Those did go away for me!

I had so many weird physical symptoms in my face and head.

If it helps, btw, I didn't get any new symptoms as I got into the very, very low doses. The last couple months of my taper, I was just dealing with the same symptoms as from the first part. They weren't great, but at least they were predictable.

Thanks everyone!  I really appreciate the help and support.

It doesn't also help that I had a slip and fall injury a few weeks back when I hit my head on concrete.

I am hoping it goes away with time and becomes a thing of the past!

Praying for things to get better for you, Youngster.

Thanks for the reply, Spin. That's really good to know. It's hard to stay calm when new symptoms arise.

That's definitely what it sounds like, Spin. Mine seems to be more of a spasm as it's not in time with my pulse and feels like a spasm or twitch. I can't help but be afraid of new symptoms as I get lower. I pray they don't show up, but there's just no telling with these stupid benzos. I hope yours goes away as you get further and further down the road.

Can I ask if the spasms feel as if your brain is vibrating?

Last night, the pulsating wasn't so bad but it felt like my brain was vibrating.  I am so hopeful this goes away quickly. It is very disruptive to sleep.

I am having the positive view that it is my brain healing and getting back to its usual state.  Pray for me!

• 2 months later...

Sooo, I now have an answer to my tinnitus!

It turns out in the fall, I actually suffered a tear to the vertebral artery in my neck 🤦‍♀️ It wasn’t picked up on a CT scan but showed up on an MRI.

This also explains my vision issues, high blood pressure, headaches and dizziness.

I’m so grateful for finally having an answer but it has been a scary few weeks as I’m now high risk of stroke and on blood thinners.

It always pays to check these symptoms!