Author Topic: Valium 5mg titration - dry or liquid micro taper?  (Read 2675 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Valium 5mg titration - dry or liquid micro taper?
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2022, 04:33:29 pm »
Once again, the decision of making a suspension vs. a solution when diluting an oral prescription solution comes down to every member. Per your replies, you have made yours and I am glad that it has been working well for you. Other members may wish to do otherwise.

That is correct.  Everyone is free to choose their own method that they think best suits them.  Myself and many other people who have been on the board have used the 5mg / 5mL diazepam Intensol solution mixed 1 part solution to 9 parts water to successfully taper.

Hello, [...].  Good to see you on the boards!  In hope of preventing confusion on the part of future readers of this thread, might I clarify that the 5mg/5mL oral diazepam solution is NOT an Intensol?  Intensol is a trademark associated with a 25mg/5mL oral diazepam concentrate currently manufactured by West-Ward (NDC 0054-3185-44).
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2022, 04:41:44 pm »

Hello, [...].  Good to see you on the boards!  In hope of preventing confusion on the part of future readers of this thread, might I clarify that the 5mg/5mL oral diazepam solution is NOT an Intensol?  Intensol is a trademark associated with a 25mg/5mL oral diazepam concentrate currently manufactured by West-Ward (NDC 0054-3185-44).

Thanks, [...].  You are so on the ball and so right!.  Sadly I have now earned my user name which I started with on the board, and after I had made a number of posts realized that it was a bad choice of a username.  The 5mg per 5 mL solution that I am using is indeed the West Ward.  I have no idea when or why I started using the word Intersol to describe it.  Ouch!
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2022, 05:35:04 pm »
You’re most welcome, [...].  Drug product nomenclature is confusing as heck.  It took me a ridiculously long time to figure out that Intensol was a trademarked name for ‘concentrate.’ 

Fun trivia for the day: West-Ward is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hikma Pharmaceuticals. Hikma manufacturers six Intensols for the US market including three for benzodiazepines (alprazolam, diazepam, lorazepam).

Link:
US products | Hikma
https://www.hikma.com/products/us-products/
(Enter ‘Intensol’ in the search box.)

[Buddie]

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2022, 08:16:20 pm »
[...], you are the best in terms of knowledge, helpfullness, and on the ballness with spotting things quickly.   Thanks you for all of the work you do here and the help you provide.

[Buddie]

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2022, 08:53:34 pm »
Thank you, [...]. Your kind words are much appreciated.

[Buddie]

« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2022, 02:57:34 pm »
Greetings, [...].  I thought you might find the following paper of interest.

Salim M, Eason T, Boyd BJ. Opportunities for milk and milk-related systems as 'new' low-cost excipient drug delivery materials. Adv Drug Deliv Rev. 2022 Apr;183:114139. Accessed online at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169409X22000291

Abstract: Milk is well recognised as an amazing delivery system for essential lipids, poorly soluble nutrients, sugars, amino acids and delivery of critical biological molecules to sustain the infant and adult alike. It is also a safe and abundant resource with potential to act as a low-cost material for formulation of medicines, especially for paediatric patients and those in low economy settings. However, its use in low cost formulations has never developed beyond preclinical evaluation. Reasons for this are several-fold including variable composition and therefore regulatory challenges, as well as a lack of clear understanding around when milk or milk-related materials like infant formula could best be deployed by linking drug properties with excipient composition attributes, especially when taking digestion into account. This review collects the current understanding around these issues. It is apparent from the evolving understanding that while milk may be a bridge too far for translation as an excipient, infant formula is positioned to play a key role in the future because, as a powder-based excipient, it has the performance benefits of milk powder together with the controlled specifications during manufacture and versatility of application to function as a low cost lipid excipient to enable potential translation for the oral delivery of poorly water soluble drugs for key populations including paediatrics and low economy medicines.

Keywords: Digestion; Formulation; Infant formula; Milk; Poorly water-soluble drug.

Edit: corrected typo to ensure proper username redaction
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 04:38:45 pm by [Buddie] »