Author Topic: Valium 5mg titration - dry or liquid micro taper?  (Read 3276 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Valium 5mg titration - dry or liquid micro taper?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2022, 09:31:42 pm »
Once again, thank you for sharing this with me, [...].

I kept a journal for the first 10 days of my cross-over to Valium but I havenít updated it since. I will resume doing so and will include the information you have suggested noting down.

A (perhaps final) practical question: the mouth of the glass container in which the prescription oral solution is is quite narrow ó around 11-12 millimeters wide. I am not sure that I will be able to insert a 1mL syringe. If this turns out to be impossible, may I resort to pouring 15 drops (0.5mL, i.e. 5mg Valium) into the 49.5mL of water?

As you can probably tell, using needles is not a part of my daily routine :). I suspect it will be fine. (I am using Nipro 1mL syringes (link: https://www.amazon.fr/SERINGUE-1ML-NIPRO-SERINGUES-ST…RILIS…ES/dp/B09GXXYQNG )
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 10:13:25 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2022, 10:12:51 pm »
You are welcome. 

Iím delighted to learn you will resume keeping a journal.  In case youíre interested in learning more about how to set up and use a taper journal, Iíve included a link below.

Was a specially calibrated dropper supplied with your concentrated oral solution?  If so, then continuing to use it as your measuring device should be fine.

Link:
Taper Journal | The Withdrawal Project
https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/taper/step-19-setting-taper-journal
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2022, 10:21:53 pm »
I might start my own thread in the taper journal section! Being chronically ill, I tend to have little energy to spare so I keep things as short as possible ó meaning that for now, I am using the Notes app on my phone. This may turn out to be impractical for long term use.

There is a dropper supplied with the oral solution. Here is a picture where I popped it off ó itís the little green plastic thing inside the white cap on the left of the bottle.

It is, however, annoying to use, as drops, although they are of similar size, tend to come out quickly. Thus I often end up spilling a 16th drop on my tabletop. I am also susceptible to losing count when I am out of cognitive energy, which is no good. Using a needle would solve this issue.

Edit: Removed personal information.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 11:19:37 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2022, 10:29:07 pm »
You might consider asking your pharmacist if s/he can fit the medicine bottle with a press-in syringe/bottle adapter.  Such devices make the process of filling a syringe easier/faster. For more info including pictures, visit:

Adapter Caps | The Withdrawal Project
https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/taper/adapter-caps

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2022, 10:34:51 pm »
This looks very convenient. I will call my pharmacist tomorrow and ask them. I have no idea if people who use insulin need them, but if they do, he might have some.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2022, 10:44:47 pm »
Bottle adapters are indeed convenient.  I prefer the press-in type; the universal ones donít work very well imo. You can purchase press-in adapters online but finding the right size for a particular medicine bottle can be tricky.  If your pharmacist doesnít stock adpaters, s/he may be able to advise you as to what size would fit your bottle.

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2022, 12:20:40 pm »
Unfortunately, my pharmacist doesnít have adapter caps and Iíve had no luck finding any online. I assume it would be tricky / error prone to use a syringe without one, so I would probably be better off using the drop adapter and foregoing the 1mL syringe.

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2022, 06:24:33 pm »
A significant issue has arisen in that the only manufacturer in my country is out of stock for the prescription oral solution since March and until at least the end of April. I couldnít renew my prescription at the pharmacy [...]. I hope the supply will stabilize for the coming months, otherwise it will complicate matters.

Unfortunately, this means that I have to delay my taper further. For now, I will revert to using pills.

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2022, 06:53:00 pm »
I'm sure sorry to hear you're experiencing supply chain issues but glad you have enough medication in tablet form. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2022, 07:00:40 pm »
Yes, Iím glad I asked my doc for a higher dosage of Valium than I needed to have extra pills in case of a supply problem. Itís a shame because it turns out that I prefer the prescription oral solution ó it makes no difference to my symptoms, but it has a faster onset (30 mins vs 60+ for pills).

Anyway, my pharmacist has ordered the prescription oral solution so it will be on backlog. I hope it arrives soon.