Caffeine and klonopin

[ke...]

Hello,

I am almost ready to start my taper.

For years, to offset the stupor that clonazepam has put me in, along with other psychotropics,  I have usually downed two mugs of coffee in the morning, and then one more in the late afternoon.

I know my caffeine habits aren't helping with the anxiety and irritability caused by tolerance from over 30 years of klonopin use.

So, this week,  I started drinking just one mug of coffee, just so see how it goes.  So far, I haven't had any headaches.

I would like to keep my caffeine intake to a minimum when I start my taper.  I think it is best, because I have panic disorder, in addition to general anxiety. 

Has anyone else had problems with cutting or giving up caffeine?

Thanks!

kestrel 28

Thank you, sleepyjo. 

I have a good whole bean decaf that I've been using regularly.  I'm really hoping I can taper off the caffeine long-term. 

• 2 weeks later...
I drank decaf for a short time when I first started tapering because of how much fear I had about caffeine due to support groups. I eventually told myself to try a regular coffee and I felt fine. I drank regular coffee every day of my taper with no issues. I only seemed to get anxiety if I drank more than 1 coffee in a day.

• 2 months later...
Midway through my taper, I switched to half-caff.  With each reduction in dosage, I could feel the caffeine affecting me more and more.  Just two weeks ago, I switched to decaf completely, being that I was still regularly having panic attacks and/or migraines in the morning.  Thus far, I've only had one panic attack that was triggered by an intense exercise session, and it was easily mitigated with some breathing exercises and a hot shower.  Typically, I was having three or four a week.  Migraines are still happening, albeit with a much lesser intensity.  The elimination of caffeine certainly seems to have helped.

I typically drink decaf, which btw still has caffeine.  I find that caffeinated diet Coke helps relieve some of the GI tract symptoms caused by anxiety during tapering.

• 4 weeks later...

i did the same thing. i also took klonpin for 25 years and used caffeine during the day to curb the tired crap. i’m 2 and 1/2 months off and i can say that a little caffeine has been ok.

i drink 1/2 cafe and green tea and that has been ok. if i got shaky i would adjust and make sure not to do that again. caffeine will trigger major panic so be careful

• 1 month later...
At the beginning of my taper I switched to decaff but I messed regular coffee. I eventually tried a regular coffee and noticed it didn't affect my anxiety. I'm usually ok with 1 cup and sometimes even 2 but after that it gets risky in terms of affecting my anxiety.