Paper, Sep/21:Why do patients find it difficult to discontinue their medication?

[La...]

The full title of this Dutch paper is "Why do patients find it difficult to discontinue their medication?"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34854596/

Abstract

Tapering medication is difficult for many patients using chronic medication. Physicians must be aware of why patients experience difficulties in discontinuation. Important are the cognitions of patients about why the medication is necessary, for example because of the deficit of a certain substance that is supplemented by the medication. Or a too favourable expectation of the effect while time-to-benefit has passed. The experience of withdrawal effects during earlier attempts or the experience of dependency hamper new attempts to stop. This is important in medication that induces physical dependency: antipsychotics, antidepressants, benzodiazepines, or proton pump inhibitors. Fear for relapse is also hampering discontinuation; this is at stake in patients with psychosis, depression and epilepsy. Finally, poor communication and not having a trusted professional are impediments for discontinuation. To be successful in helping patients discontinue their medication professionals must communicate well about the patient's personal attitude, experience, emotions, and life circumstances as well as to possess expertise about the technical aspects of the procedure of stopping medication.

• 2 months later...
Do you know if this type of medication omeprazole causes anything like  anxiety or dependacy and if it does what are the symptoms. Every since I stopped everything feels worse my congestion my acid and because my congestion is so bad I can’t breath properly which in return I get bad panic attacks  …

Hi Butterfly,

I looked up this medication, and it appears to be a proton pump inhibitor, which, according to the information available, can cause physical dependency. That means that when you try to discontinue it after taking it for awhile, you can have withdrawal effects.

Have you spoken with your doctor or pharmacist about it? That would be the best thing to do. They should be able to give you guidance about how to take it and how best to discontinue it.