OXCARBAZEPINE

[...]

Does anyone have experience using Oxcarbazepine for benzo wd. Specifically diazepam. There has been some clinical trials showing that off label Oxcarbazepine has been effective for benzo wd

I was given this post reply some time ago about the interactions with diazepam which gives me some concern since my doc wants me to go on it when I jump from diazepam

Here’s the reference

The effect oxcarbazepine has on the drug elimination enzyme CYP2C19 seems like it would be problematic for benzo taperers, as well as those using many other common drugs.

Oxcarbazepine and licarbazepine are potent inhibitors of CYP2C19 and thus have the potential to increase plasma concentration of drugs, which are metabolized through this pathway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxcarbazepine

Inputs would be greatly appreciated

Joeb

I was put on Trileptal (brand of Oxcarbazepine) by a pdoc prior to entering detox in 2006 for klonopin tolerance.  From what I can recall, it did not really help me and had no positive effect on how bad I was feeling. The detox hosp. took me off the Oxcarbazepine and just replaced it with a bunch of other meds that did not really help IMO. I just suffered the whole time I was there.

I was put on oxcarbazepine right after a cold turkey from klonopin! It helped me TREMENDOUSLY. I am currently 8 months off from benzos and tapering off oxcarbazepine now. Down to 300mg from 1200mg. I’m feeling better and better each day but it’s a slllooowwww process. I don’t think I’d be here without oxcarbazepine.  :thumbsup:

I was put on oxcarbazepine right after a cold turkey from klonopin! It helped me TREMENDOUSLY. I am currently 8 months off from benzos and tapering off oxcarbazepine now. Down to 300mg from 1200mg. I’m feeling better and better each day but it’s a slllooowwww process. I don’t think I’d be here without oxcarbazepine.  :thumbsup:

Hi Healing, are you finding it hard to taper off of it?

Also we’re you inpatient ? Did they start you on that high of a dose ?

Were you on other meds also? Any side effects ?

Sorry for so many questions I’m just very nervous about taking other things. I’m close to going off so nervous about what to do and what to expect

Thank you

Joeb

Joeb