Long term clonazepam user

[ke...]

I am thinking that it is ultimately up to me, since there is either apathy, ignorance, or not common knowledge in the medical community that benzo harm is rampant. 

Thank you for the advice, hoping4anewlife. 

What kind of scale should I get?  I am thinking that since I tried once with a nurse practitioner before and did not succeed, that I should at least try tapering while having a doctor prescribe. 

What bothers me about the dr. is the way he came out and first tried to cut the middle dose of .5 mg to .25 mg right away.  That, to me, is NOT slow.  I am fully aware of how powerful and strong klonopin is, and I am determined to succeed this time around. 

I know I have been putting up with this nonsense for 31 years, and I owe it to myself to a better life--better feelings, better relationships, less irritability.

I want to trust in the process and see the healing as it goes along. 

However, I have had tough breaks with employment--I am not currently working, and I am at that age where I feel the clock is ticking for me regarding retirement.  I am 53, and I want to get in several more years of work so I have at least a decent pension. 

I am trying to work with a vocational counselor through the state called ACCES-VR so I can get employment once again. 

Again, I want to taper off VERY SLOWLY, and since I have three doses, I want to evenly cut the dosages so my body does not react strangely like it did over three years ago. 

Where do I look for a good rule of thumb regarding the first taper?  I do have a good pill cutter, but, at some point, I do think I will have to invest in a scale. 

I do know that this is going to be hell on earth with withdrawal, but, being that I've experienced it before, I sincerely think I will win this time around. 

Thanks in advance.

kestrel28

I use a more accurate scale than most doing a dry taper because I am pretty anal about accuracy. I use a scale that reads to 0.0000g. While I think most here use a scale that reads to 0.000g. The problem with a more accurate scale is the price. I think I paid around 600 dollars for mine. I've also thought about maybe switching to a liquid taper at the end but I'm not sure. Also when you have cut up pills it may make it more difficult with traveling.

I think this is the one I use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MU940MZ/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_3QSTJW9W6VYCFGAZ0RBQ?psc=1

I understand that may be out of many's price range and that I am somewhat privileged to be able to get that.

I understand your frustration. I have a similar story to yours (25 years since my 1st dose, in 40s instead of 50s). I've found that while there are certainly a lot of things to ruminate about and things to legitimately complain about attacking the problem itself has been the most mentally healthy thing for me to do.  I have also found an iterative approach works. I have a long term goal but for what I taper I usually go week by week. If Im feeling bad, I hold. Though I realize that my mindset there may not work for everyone but that is what seems to work for me.

I had a very similar experience with my doctor who wanted to cut too fast. It seems a common practice unfortunately.

I have tried, tried, tried repeatedly to find a doctor that will take my insurance, and when they do, I am put on a waiting list.

Who prescribes the .5 mgs TID of klonopin now that you are currently taking?

Sorry about that. Didn't mean to get you down. As I said there are other methods such as the liquid taper which I believe has similar accuracy. You can also try dry tapering with a less accurate scale. I believe others here have done it successfully.

Antibenzo7,

My current psychiatrist prescribes the .5 mg tablets.  I am not happy with him, as I have never seen him in person--only talked with him over the phone. 

I really want to find someone who will understand my situation and be patient with me...not baby me, but understand when I have a problem and have to hold. 

The worst thing for me to do would be to be an inpatient somewhere, because in 2014 they took me off cold turkey for 17 days.  It was brutal. 

You have never seen this doctor F2F and he prescribes you klonopin .5 mgs 3 times per day via telemedicine? How did you find this doctor?

I found him through the medicare portal.  He took my insurance.  I found it quite odd that he just talks over the phone.  I am NOT going to taper with this doctor.  I will be in waiting for a doctor that understands slow taper.  It may take a while to find someone, but, until then, I know what the tolerance entails.  I have found one that did have success tapering someone off a benzo. Unfortunately, that Dr. does not have any availability at the moment. 

The most awful feeling of tolerance from being on a strong benzo long-term is the irritability and/or rage I experience at the most littlest of things. 

It is so unpleasant, and also why I hesitate to go out and socialize. 

Traffic jams are the worst.  I swear so often and I know my GABA receptors have been damaged and have to be healed. 

Has anyone taken a supplement to help with the paradoxical effects? 

I used to take l-theanine pills, which were excellent, but then stopped and started taking magnesium glycinate.  I've noticed that since stopping the l-theanine, I am less calm and more anxious than before, and also having diarrhea in the morning (could it be from the magnesium)? 

Thanks,

kestrel28

Yes, diarrhea can be caused by magnesium supplements.  Magnesium is the active ingredient in Milk of Magnesia.

Kate08, 

I read where certain types of magnesium are definitely the cause of diarrhea.  so, I tried the gylcinate version.  I am going to lay off for a few days, and see how if my GI issues get better.

• 3 months later...

This is an update as to where I am. 

Please feel free to move this to another forum subfolder if you feel it would be appropriate.

I am currently all over the place with my meds and my depression has gotten to the point of aggravated depression.

Let me explain:  I have been on and off of antidepressants for the past few weeks/months, trying to find the right one, but always coming back to prozac. 

I was on 20 mg prozac for three weeks recently, and then I went up last week to 30 mg, and that's when I became hostile, aggravated, snappy, and in addition to that I felt very remorseful afterwards and sad.

I've got too many irons in the fire right now:  Yesterday, I inquired about Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation therapy, since the antidepressants are not helping my depression.  They said they do take my insurance, which is good.

However,  I did reach a point with my doctor that he was willing to taper me off of the klonopin by calling in a prescription to the compounding pharmacy. 

This is the same doctor that just yanked my off of 30 mg of fluoxetine just 5 days ago after I told him that I was extremely agitated.  So I called him today and told him I wanted to go slower, tapering off of the prozac much more slowly.  I took a 20 mg capsule today. 

So, as you can see, I have multiple things going on, and it's hard for me to know what to do first.  Do I taper off the antidepressant first, and then handle the klonopin taper? 

It's hard to know what to do, especially since my cognitive function over 31 years has been compromised by klonopin.  Should I consider talking to my primary care physician?  Perhaps he could prescribe my medication.

It's really hard to know what is happening--withdrawal, tolerance, recurring depression?  I am so confused and do not want to make the wrong decision.

Thanks for listening.

kestrel28

It sounds like your doctor is working with you and I'm glad to hear it kestrel.  We suggest tapering only one medication at a time for the reason you mentioned - it gets too overwhelming and confusing to taper more than one thing at a time.  Whether you choose to taper the antidepressant or the benzo first is a judgement call - there isn't any hard and fast right or wrong way to do this.  Most people taper the benzo first but I read something recently that made a good case for tapering the antidepressant first.  Since you've already made a decent reduction on your Prozac, it would be fine to continuing that taper, finish the taper, and then start reducing the Kononpin.

This website had good information and help about tapering antidepressants and other psych drugs:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/

thanks, Kate 08.

I was so irritable yesterday and so uncomfortable, that I seriously considered in-patient treatment.  But, out of all my in patient visits I have NEVER had a doctor work with me to wean me off of a medication;  they just put me on something very different, which is not what I want.

20 mg fluoxetine was probably too much for me to reinstate. 

Yes, I am on the surviving antidepressants board as well;  they suggested that I try and reinstate at a smaller dose. 

I realize now that 20 mg was just way too strong for my body and I am trying 10 mg today to see how my body tolerates it as opposed to yesterday. 

I think I must take one step at a time.  While TMS might be a good idea, and it might help me,  I really do not want to be doing three different things at once.

First, I have to stabilize on a dose of prozac that doesn't irritate me, then start my klonopin liquid taper. 

I am going to talk with my psychiatrist tomorrow regarding my plan. 

I think I must take one step at a time.  While TMS might be a good idea, and it might help me,  I really do not want to be doing three different things at once.

First, I have to stabilize on a dose of prozac that doesn't irritate me, then start my klonopin liquid taper. 

I am going to talk with my psychiatrist tomorrow regarding my plan.

Getting your ducks in a row and getting your doctor on board when possible is a good idea kestrel.