Sore throat and feels like something stuck in throat

[Sy...]

Hello all. Having some very uncomfortable symptoms right now with left earache, very sore throat on left side of neck and feels like something is stuck near the bottom of my throat. I barely could speak to the front office staff today at doctor’s office to make an appointment. I was gagging during conversation. No strep. No Covid. Thank God. My doctor did see redness in ear and inflammation/redness in throat. This lump or whatever in my throat is bothersome and my voice has changed. I hope to God it comes back. I want the antibiotics and Prednisone  to take effect soon. Anyone else had these symptoms? What was the diagnosis and how long did it take to feel better?

Sometimes viral infections affect the vocal cord area and cause the 'lump in throat' sensation.  If that is the case, the prednisone should help.  Feel better soon SylviaS!

Thank you so much! Swallowing is harder and I don’t like gagging sometimes when I talk and I hope my voice returns to normal. I love my voice. Now I sound like Lilly Tomlin😄 She has a nice voice but I prefer my own. And I’ll admit I’m a little scared about all this with “what ifs” going through my head.

No. I took some Klonopin last night to help with sleep. My throat was giving me problems with acid reflux and I didn’t sleep much. The Klonopin really didn’t help, though. I had too much anxiety feeling that acid bubble up to my throat.

Okay, thanks.  I understand your doctor was able to determine you're ill but I read of another member yesterday who feels like her throat is closing, its one of her symptoms so that's why I popped into your thread.

Yikes. I have had issues with throat trying to close on me for years. It could be laryngospasm. Can you tell me what forum her topic is on? I have some tips that may be helpful.

Sounds like you need to take something for reflux. Have you tried gaviscon? Stay away from spicy and acidic foods and dont eat anyhing for at least 3 hours before bed. The acid can damage the oesophagus and makes it feel like there issomething stuck in your throat also can make it feel sore. There are other various otc meds you can take, or check with your gp

Thank you for the advice. I do feel that I have a lot of acid in my esophagus. Especially when I go to bed so it’s hard to sleep. I’m also have clicking in my throat whenever I swallow. Can this be caused by GERD as well?

Yes it can. The acid reflux can cause the back of the throat to swell slightly. You need to treat this soon before it gets any worse. Try the otc meds ive suggested for a few days and see if theres any relief. Its also important NOT to eat a few hours before bed, the longer the better so your stomach is empty. Also if you are overweight or have fat around the stomach area, try to lose some as this can cause pressure on the valve in your upper stomach causing hiatus hernia. Hope this helps, good luck