Review,Mar/22:Decision aid for chronic insomnia considering discontin'n of benzo

[La...]

The full title of this Japanese review is "Development and acceptability of a decision aid for chronic insomnia considering discontinuation of benzodiazepine hypnotics".

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34807524/

Abstract

Aim: To describe the development and acceptability of a decision aid (DA) for chronic insomnia considering discontinuation of benzodiazepine (BZD) and benzodiazepine receptor agonist (BZRA) hypnotics, and if discontinuing, tapering with or without cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I).

Methods: We reviewed relevant literature describing chronic insomnia to identify options. We used the results of the systematic review and meta-analysis conducted previously to determine the related outcomes of two options: discontinuation of BZD/BZRA hypnotics by gradual tapering alone and discontinuation of BZD/BZRA hypnotics by gradual tapering with CBT-I. We then developed a prototype of DA following the International Patient Decision Aid Standards. A mixed methods survey was conducted to assess the acceptability among patients and healthcare providers.

Results: The prototype consisted of a description of insomnia, options of continuing or discontinuing BZD/BRZA hypnotics (if discontinuing, the options of tapering hypnotics with or without CBT-I), pros and cons of each option, and a value clarification exercise. Patients (n = 24) reported that the DA had acceptable language (79%), adequate information (71%), and well-balanced presentation (91%). Healthcare providers (n = 20) also provided favorable feedback.

Conclusion: We developed a DA for chronic insomnia considering discontinuation of BZD/BRZA hypnotics, which was acceptable for stakeholders. The developed DA was designed to support patients and healthcare providers to make a decision about whether to discontinue BZD/BRZA hypnotics.

Full Review:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8919126/