Need plan on quitting Lorazepam 0.5 mg twice a day.

[Bh...]

Hello Mates,

Finally, I am much more stabilized on 10 mg Escitalopram once a day and 0.5 mg Lorazepam twice a day.

now I think of start tapering it to be able to enjoy life without meds. I am ready for bumpy ride before I get there.

Please advise which one to quit first. Lorazepam or Escitalopram and If it is Lorazepam then what would be the tapering schedule be like?.

Note: I work in a compounding pharmacy so to make liquid is very easy for me.

Thank you for sharing the good news that you are feeling more stable on your meds.

What time of day do you take the escitalopram (Lexapro)?  Do you find it activating or sedating?

In case you aren’t aware of it, Surviving Antidepressants (SA) is a peer support forum for individuals who are discontinuing antidepressants (as well as other psychoactive drugs). Here’s the SA tip sheet on tapering escitalopram:

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro) - Tapering - Surviving Antidepressants

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/406-tips-for-tapering-off-escitalopram-lexapro/

HI Libertas,

Thank you for sharing this info. I am aware about Surviving Antidepressants (SA).

I take 10 mg Escitalopram early in the morning at 8am. I would not say it is sedating in the morning. I take 0.5 mg Lorazepam at the same time and 0.5mg Lorazepam at 8PM.

My question is which one should be easy to taper first?.

You are welcome, Bhailu.

I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but, as you’ll learn, there are no easy/straightforward answers to many questions regarding withdrawal from psychoactive medications. Instead, each individual has to discover for themselves what works (or doesn’t) through a process of self-experimentation. (However, having said that, there does appear to be general consensus in this community that one should taper only one psychoactive drug at a time.)

Here’s what the founder of Surviving Antidepressants (who is quite well-informed about psychoactive drugs) has to say on this topic:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first/

Let’s hope a member who has personal experience with tapering both classes of medications will stop by to share their experience and thoughts.  In the interim, have you tried using the search function to find posts from past and current members on this topic?  You also might try posting your question to the Other Medications or Depression boards.

Every time I visit this website, I am amazed to find all you helping angels to stop by and give valuable opinions. Much appreciated.

I should read the info that you have provided.

I was planning to take down one drug at a time anyway. just wasn't sure which one. and so looking for a valuable information from someone who have or going through.

You are welcome, Bhailu.

I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but, as you’ll learn, there are no easy/straightforward answers to many questions regarding withdrawal from psychoactive medications. Instead, each individual has to discover for themselves what works (or doesn’t) through a process of self-experimentation. (However, having said that, there does appear to be general consensus in this community that one should taper only one psychoactive drug at a time.)

Here’s what the founder of Surviving Antidepressants (who is quite well-informed about psychoactive drugs) has to say on this topic:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first/

Let’s hope a member who has personal experience with tapering both classes of medications will stop by to share their experience and thoughts.  In the interim, have you tried using the search function to find posts from past and current members on this topic?  You also might try posting your question to the Other Medications or Depression boards.

Thank you for the link to the 'which drug to taper first' information Lib.  It seems that most people who come here taper the benzo when they are on multiple drugs first but this article had some interesting points for tapering the antidepressant first - points I had not considered.

You mention wanting to taper the easiest first, how did your first taper from escitalopram go, I know didn't do well once you jumped off last time but how was the actual taper, did you suffer with symptoms?  What taper method did you use and what time frame did you accomplish it in?  Also, why do you want to get off of the escitalopram, do you react badly to it?

You mention wanting to taper the easiest first, how did your first taper from  go, I know didn't do well once you jumped off last time but how was the actual taper, did you suffer with symptoms?  What taper method did you use and what time frame did you accomplish it in?  Also, why do you want to get off of the , do you react badly to it?

First taper from  was not bad until I jumped completely off of it. I did had few tolerable symptoms when I was reducing my dose. I had a hard time at 3mg and onwards going down. I was doing 10% every week which was too quick. I finished it in 2 months or so.

No. I am just feeling batter and would like to go off and live drug free.

Thank you for letting us know about your taper, I agree, it looks like it was too fast and I understand wanting to live drug free.

Did you read the information Libertas supplied, I thought if was very helpful, I believe if you follow the reasoning supplied in that link you'll be able to decide which drug to taper first.  Let us know what you think.  https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first/