Hydroxyzine

[CA...]

I'm sorry about the insomnia - it can be dreadful during withdrawl.  I tried hydroxyzine and didn't benefit from it bit I didn't have any problem with it either.  I think the only way to know if it will work for you is to give it a try.  Fingers crossed for you.  :thumbsup:

I take hydroxyzine from time to time.  It has definitely not been harmful to me, though it won't work for me if I'm really keyed up or heavily symptomatic.  It'll work great for mild symptoms and help me get 5-6 hrs sleep then. 

My GP gave me hydroxine as an alternative to help with anxiety and sleep, and he is super conservative in prescribing anything and also understands and admits the difficulties of benzo withdrawal. I couldn’t take it a year ago because I was too sensitive to it. But now, it actually helps me sleep. I only take it if I am super desperate for sleep and it makes me groggy the next morning. I still have most of the Rx from last year. Just know if you take it you could be setting yourself up for adverse reactions.

I was taking hydroxyzine pretty regularly for a couple of weeks.  It was prescribed to me by the Nurse Practioner that is prescribing Ativan while I taper.

I didn’t mind trying it because it was an antihistamine.

It really helped me sleep but then I noticed increased grogginess and memory lapses.  The memory lapses really concerned me. I didn’t know if it was the hydroxyzine or if I was getting dementia or what.

I talked to my primary care doc and he said he would not normally prescribe it for anyone over 50 and not at all for anyone over 60. ( I am in between  ;) ) After I quit taking it the memory issues stopped.

That’s just my experience with it.  He prescribed mirtazapine for sleep but I’ve never taken it.  I’ve been using Benadryl.  Sometimes it works and other times not so good.  It will help me fall asleep but not stay asleep for more than 3-4 hours.