Chronic insomnia prior to Benzos.

[be...]

So my severe chronic insomnia has been an issue my entire life....that was the main reason I was put on Klonopin many many years ago.  I realized after using this wonderful sleep med for a few years and reaching tolerance that I needed to taper off....or get worse.  So I began my taper and jumped.

My story is complicated....Klonopin saved my job for a while, then I reached tolerance and it stole my life.  I’ve tapered off and had to go back on it a few times now.  I feel I need to taper and get off of it again but now I’m worried because I suffer with severe intractable nerve pain in the pelvic area and it makes sleep even more impossible.

Once I taper I will have to deal with the original insomnia issue and now my pain.    Any thoughts, recommendations and/or encouragement?

Sorry for your insomnia issues.  I too went on Benzos for insomnia.  After I got off and recovered, my sleep has returned...not 100% but at least 90% or more every night.  On the off nights that I get about every 4-8 weeks or on nights when it takes 2-3 hours to fall asleep I take 100mg of CBD oil....and I meditate with that.  CBD won't knock you out like a Benzo, but it makes you relaxed enough to drift off...at least it does for me.  There was a point when I couldn't sleep so I'd freak out and punch the pillows, toss and turn and swear out loud...literally.  All that did was insure that I'd get ZERO sleep that night.

CBT-i is proven to be at least 80% effective (compared to sleeping drugs like Benzos) for most people.  According to your signature you're still on, so I'm not sure what will work, if anything, until you are completely off again. 

I know healing from Benzos doesn't heal pre-existing conditions, but what it did for me was give me the coping skills to effectively deal with those one off nights and bouts of insomnia I seem to get every year or two now.  I had a 6 week bout in January and February of 2021.  I had zero nights and lots of 1-3 hour nights, but the CBD and meditation really helped. 

I wish I had better solutions, but there are not a lot when it comes to insomnia, short of another Rx drug.  Don't give up hope, you can try a variety of different techniques and supplements that hopefully can give you enough sleep every night to live a decent life?

Good luck!

Thx so much....took one K tonight and I’m still wide awake at almost 4 a.m.    I don’t know what to do so here I am on BB.

I am still up Betty. I can not sleep either. How much klonopin did you go back on? Have you taken or tried any other benzo?

Sorry Anti just seeing this now.    I finally fell asleep at 4:30 a.m.    I’ve been on .5 mg since 2003.    Check out my time line below hon.

Sorry you had a bad night too....hoping you finally fell asleep.

BB.