Author Topic: Insomnia not getting better  (Read 3217 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Insomnia not getting better
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2022, 11:25:12 am »
Thanks everyone. I truly donít know how any of you got thru this. It feels like my brain is slowly being starved. I think about reinstating every single day just to get some sleep. I have tried trazodone and it did not work for me. Low dose remeron gets me some sleep but it still feels ďhollowĒ. Sometimes it feels worse than not sleeping at all. Iím not sure what to do but something has gotta give. If I could just get a couple of nights of even half decent sleep that would help. Thank you for taking the time to respond everybody.

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2022, 02:20:24 pm »
[...],

I think I know what you mean about "hollow" sleep. I have had sleep that was so shallow that it was like daydreaming while I am still awake. Not really restful at all. I was and am just like you; wanting that deep, restful sleep that leaves you feeling refreshed. As I said last night, I am still back and forth. Last night was 2 to 3 hours of light sleep again. I never know what I am going to get. Hang in there, [...]! Even if you can lie down and rest, it's better than nothing.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2022, 03:21:36 pm »
Thanks [...],
Iíve stumbled across quite a few of your posts so I know that youíve had a hard way to go. Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. For now my only option is to keep pushing thru.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2022, 05:55:40 pm »
Hello,
I have been lurking around this site for about 3 months now trying to get some hope that this will end.
I was on Xanax 1.5 mg/day for about 2 months. When I realized I had become dependent I quit c/t. I didn't realize at the time what this meant for me and by the time I found this site and learned what I had done to myself it was to late to reinstate for a taper. I only have 2 symptoms left insomnia and anxiety. The insomnia is brutal and I am only sleeping about 3 hours every other night if I'm lucky. The insomnia is brutal and I'm not sure how much longer I can survive like this. Hopefully somebody can give some encouragement because this doesn't seem to be letting up. All of my other symptoms have gone except these 2. I really believe if I can get some relief on the insomnia that the anxiety would go away as well.

[...],

Sorry you are suffering from Benzo-induced insomnia.  Ashton says insomnia typically resolves in 6-12 months for most.  Some take less time and some take more time.  No one knows when your insomnia will end, but it WILL end at some point.  The fact that you are getting some sleep (3 hours or so) every other night is a good sign.  Most of the Buddies on this forum when through a similar patter of getting sleep one night then none for the next night.  I went through that pattern for a few months and eventually it morphed into some sleep for 2 nights in a row, then 3, 4, 5 and so on.  It doesn't seem possible that you can live on so little sleep, but you can and lack of sleep will not kill you.  I used to believe something bad would happen to me from sleeping so little.  I had a ton of other symptoms that I was sure were being caused by some other illness or condition.  I had every medical test done that my insurance would pay for and all of the results came back negative or "normal." 

It doesn't seem possible, but each passing day will bring you closer to getting some regular sleep back.  It will be very UP and down...but eventually sleep DOES even out.  However, in the thick of your insomnia battle nothing seems possible and you'll always go to the negative even if you can logically wrap your mind around what is happening.  It's just the nature of Benzo WD and healing and recovery.  Yes, I'm pretty confident that once you get a stretch of sleep for days and weeks in a row, your anxiety will decrease...that's exactly how it played out for me too and I was also a short-term user.

Hang in there...you WILL heal...sleep will slowly return over time. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 12:08:58 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2022, 06:19:11 pm »
Thanks TW,
I know logically what you say is true and I do try to be encouraged by at least getting a little sleep. I have no idea how you did this for 10 months. Mad props to you. Right now I just try to make it until tomorrow.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2022, 07:20:46 pm »
Iím about to head into my 10th month offÖ..Iíve been getting 0-3 at least that much and actually longer. sometimes I get 4-5 but not often. I work full time. Some days it feels like I will die, but I donít. Eventually u get used to it I think. Doesnít mean u are ok with it tho.

Hang in there x

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2022, 07:24:30 pm »
Thanks TW,
I know logically what you say is true and I do try to be encouraged by at least getting a little sleep. I have no idea how you did this for 10 months. Mad props to you. Right now I just try to make it until tomorrow.

[...]

I'm so sorry you are suffering and I know just how hard it is.  'One day at a time' is how I got through this process and the insomnia that went with it and it is how I live now.  I don't know how I missed this little philosophy but it serves me well now.

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2022, 07:42:43 pm »
Iím about to head into my 10th month offÖ..Iíve been getting 0-3 at least that much and actually longer. sometimes I get 4-5 but not often. I work full time. Some days it feels like I will die, but I donít. Eventually u get used to it I think. Doesnít mean u are ok with it tho.

Hang in there x

[...] youíre a beast! How on earth can you manage that. There is no way I could work at the moment. My job requires me to drive all day and I just donít think that would be safe. Not only endanger me but everybody else on the road as well. Thankfully my doc wrote me out of work for on disability so that gives me 3 more months to get this sleeping situation under control. Iím hoping for the best. I truly hope you start sleeping again real soon. You have been dealing with this way to long!

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2022, 07:48:38 pm »
Thanks TW,

[...]

I'm so sorry you are suffering and I know just how hard it is.  'One day at a time' is how I got through this process and the insomnia that went with it and it is how I live now.  I don't know how I missed this little philosophy but it serves me well now.

Thanks [...]. That is exactly how Iíve been living my life since the middle of November. Who would have thought that 2 months use for a little situational grief would have turned into this amount suffering. It would have been easier if I would have just used alcohol. I wouldnít have become dependent and I would probably be sleeping right now.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2022, 08:08:28 pm »

Hang in there x

[...] youíre a beast! How on earth can you manage that. There is no way I could work at the moment. My job requires me to drive all day and I just donít think that would be safe. Not only endanger me but everybody else on the road as well. Thankfully my doc wrote me out of work for on disability so that gives me 3 more months to get this sleeping situation under control. Iím hoping for the best. I truly hope you start sleeping again real soon. You have been dealing with this way to long!

[...]

I didnít work for a long time x Iíve been back at work 5 months. Iím sure u wonít be as bad as me x Iím a freak  ;D

Take that time to get some healing behind u x