Odd question regarding withdrawal

[Ho...]

For someone who has been a long term drug addict of benzos and opiods, is it safe for them to withdraw too fast?  If not, then should a parent or friend help to pay for the drugs they use until they can get the help of a clinic so they don't develop withdrawal symptoms too quickly?

Thanks, any advice would be helpful

I'm assuming you're not talking about yourself, if its not you, is this person an addict or are they dependent on these drugs and yes, in my mind there is a difference.

It's a family member, definite addict who said he will finally get help.  It started out as a dependency while treating an injury.  He says the Rehab clinics have a long wait list and so on.  He's on Dr. prescribed Benzo's and street drugs combined.  Should we be helping him as in making sure he doesn't have serious withdrawal symptoms?  Being a parent I'm not sold getting him more drugs to alleviate it, but not sure how to help or what to do for him?.  Our area does not have the greatest support system for people on drugs  mainly because there are wait lists all over. 

Speaking from experience it's important to have family support which you're offering but its also important for him to take responsibility for his actions and that unfortunately includes the pain he's going to endure.  If he wants sobriety bad enough then he has to be willing to face the consequences. 

There is no way around the serious withdrawal symptoms he's going to face and tapering may not be possible for him, I didn't know benzo's needed to be tapered but I wouldn't have been able to do it, he may be the same.  This leaves a cold turkey which I'm not advocating but feel its an important discussion to have with him.  This will include of course talking about how to do this safely, meaning the risk of seizure or other complications. 

We all know there is no easier softer way to do this, even for those who aren't addicts so trying to protect him from this isn't realistic and may just be delaying the inevitable, you can't protect him from that.

Disclaimer:  I have no experience with opioids, my comments pertain to his benzo situation only.

Thanks Pamster, he came over  this evening.  He is wasted.    We did not supply him with whatever he took, but I'm sure is a mix of the mentioned?  We are supporting him by encouraging him to get help .  We have told him, no doing drugs in our home.  Should we let him do drugs here?  So it's obvious he takes something before he comes. we thought we were on the right road, but I guess  we are going about it in the wrong way.?  No, he is not a mild drug dependant guy.  He's a heavy addict.  Doctor prescribed diazepam and Percocet, which he takes along with  unknown street drug, he takes more than he supposed to.  I have to hold him up cause he passes out standing up.  He can't function, he can't work.  Most of the times when he comes here he is out of it and passes out?  But I think he is just saying he will go to Rehab,  because he knows that is what we want to hear?  I don't know what to do, I don't think he is ready?  How are we going to help him?  It's so painful to watch and be helpless.  Thank you Pamster for advising and listening?

I'm so sorry for you and for your son, I agree, it doesn't sound like he's ready yet.  The only thing I know is that we don't change if we don't have to, if we're comfortable there's no motivation.  Allowing him in your home or allowing him to do drugs around you allows him to feel comfortable so setting boundaries for your sake and for his is probably the next step. 

I would suggest reaching out to your local Alanon chapter to get advice on how to set boundaries, addiction harms more than the person taking the substances so you learning how to survive his addiction is critical.  I know you love him and want to help him but this is one time you can't, this has to be his decision.  When he's had enough and needs your help to get clean then you can be there for him but until makes that commitment, you need to protect yourself and the rest of your family.

Thank you  for the response and we did talk to an Addictions foundation Counsellor,  and he said pretty much what you are saying he has to do it, we can't  We quit the enabling a long time ago and thought we were setting boundaries when we asked him to move, also we no longer gave him money or gifts that could be sold to feed his habit.  We are allowing visits but we asked him not to do drugs in our home.  We can't get ourselves to cut him completely off, by not allowing him to come here,  because we feel he needs to know that he is loved and that we support him by encouraging him to get help. 

Thank you for answering and taking time to advise, I know I probably should be on another Drug Withdrawal forum that involves Street drugs and more drugs other than benzo's, but not sure where to go?  Can you, or anyone recommend a good site that is helpful?

It sounds like you're doing all the right things but I'm sure it's very painful, we want to help and protect our children no matter how old they are, I'm so sorry.  I don't know of any places online but hopefully you can find some to help you get through this.